Hotel Rip Off In Kilkenny any ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your opinion. I disagree that there is any rip-off since the potential customer was not mislead/scammed.

I think you are in a minority of one here. Just because the potential customer was not mislead/scammed does not means that the hotel didn't try and rip him off.

It's not just my opinion either. Everyone else who has commented on the charge quoted seemed to think that the hotel was attempting to rip potential customers off by looking to charge an outrageously high price (which is what the dictionary defines as a rip off).

You, on the other hand, seem to be the only one of the opinion that the hotel was not attempting to rip him off

Murt

I'm with Clubman on this.

A. I don't think E300 for three people for one night only ( as opposed to for instance a two night stay) on a Saturday at fairly last minute is all that outrageous. The customer has the choice whether to take it or not.

B. The customer has obtained a quote, decided not to take it and is actively looking at alternatives. Langtons will not now get the business.

This is simply a market economy in action. It is not rip off. "Rip-off" in the context of which it is so often misused on this forum is a form of tabloid headline screaming that something that someone does not like is morally reprehensible. As opposed to just business which is all it is.

Oh, and "no-one else agrees with you which means you must be wrong", is not a very convincing argument.

mf

If people do a search they will see that this argument (definition of 'rip-off') has been done to death, and there is never agreement/consensus. Why don't we just say 'each to their own' and leave it at that?

The OP's basic issue is this-can anyone suggest where in Kilkenny they should look for a hotel room on a Saturday night for 3 people for less than €300?

The OP's basic issue is this-can anyone suggest where in Kilkenny they should look for a hotel room on a Saturday night for 3 people for less than €300?
Then perhaps they could change the misleading title:

"Hotel Rip Off In Kilkenny any ideas"

You, on the other hand, seem to be the only one of the opinion that the hotel was not attempting to rip him off
They did not attempt to rip anybody off. They quoted their price clearly and without any subterfuge. The fact that some (many?) people consider this price too high is a separate matter. Those who don't like it can decline the offer and look elsewhere for what they consider a better/fairer/cheaper price. No actual or potential rip-off though.

The fact that some (many?) people consider this price too high is a separate matter.
Anyone who considers €300 for a room for 3 people a "rip off", due to being too high, actually booked any hotel accomodation recently. (€135 for one person per night isn't uncommon, and many hotels far higher)

It is expensive yes, but far from being crazily so. It's just a little above what the majority of other hotels would charge and even B&Bs would only be a small bit cheaper. (Last B&B I looked at was €72 per night per person, middle of the week so probably more expensive at weekends)

Just back from Berlin where I stayed in a four star hotel with my wife for three nights including breakfast for a total of €254. Flights were €88 and the Christmas markets were in full swing. I know it wasn't Kilkenny and I know it wasn't May but we persevered...

Incidentally if you log on to [broken link removed] and key in Kilkenny for May 2007, you can get the Newpark for €116 for a double and the Ormonde for €178 for a double. The Rivercourt is €153. Iam sure you could get a fold away bed for €10 per night on top of these prices.

Incidentally if you log on to [broken link removed] and key in Kilkenny for May 2007, you can get the Newpark for €116 for a double and the Ormonde for €178 for a double. The Rivercourt is €153. Iam sure you could get a fold away bed for €10 per night on top of these prices.
Doubtful. Usually it's an additional €40 on a €69 room to have a second person in it (around the Cork area at least - lived in hotel for approx six months with work so know the in's and out's pretty good, sadly :p), this is for a double room either way so technically you're paying €40 for nothing more than having an extra keycard cut and the permission to have the second person there.
May drop a little for a third person, but if it involves moving of a bed etc. don't expect it for €10 (most rooms are double single [a double bed and a single bed] so may get it at a small increase).

Comparing prices without comparing standards is crazy. I'll obviously get a cheaper room if I get a lower level of facilities or a less "prestigious" hotel. [e.g. Jurys Inn and Clarion in Cork a two minute walk from each other, anyone who believes they'll get as cheap a rate in the Clarion as they would in Jurys Inn is simply mad]

Rather than slagging off other posters Clubman why not try and help the original poster with an alternative suggestion like I tried to do in my posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back