Hot weather brings out the rogue gutter cleaners and roof repairers

salar

With the good weather with us again, just a reminder that there are scammers who come out in the hot weather. They usually drive a Transit van with ladders on the roof and call around to houses asking if they want their driveways cleaned or gutters cleared. Many of them are legitimate who want to earn an honest euro but there are those that want to see if there is anyone in the house so they can clear the place out.
I had trouble last year with guys that put a ladder against the side of my house and climbed onto the roof before I could say anything and damaged the tiles. I chased them away and had to pay someone else to fix the roof after they had gone.
I was talking to a few of my friends and we had a bet how long it would take before certain individuals would call to the door looking to do odd jobs in the hot weather. It didn't take long, I had one call today on the second hot day of the year. They choose hot days because people let their guard down and open the windows and doors. If anyone sees a ladder against someone else's house they presume they are getting their gutters cleaned but in reality somebody is getting their house cleaned out.
I've noticed that these Transit vans come up to Dublin, from certain rural areas, for the day and drive around different estates looking for an opportunity.
We always have a bet on our estate on how quickly these lads turn up looking for old and vulnerable people.

I had one too last year who had his ladder up and was on my roof before I came out the door -I ran him with threats of the gardai very annoying

Why didn't you take the ladder and leave him on the roof and then ring the Garda ??

If the Man fell off the roof he would then sue the owner of the house - that's what we are up against these days.

Back