Hot Air Central Heating

L O L

Our house is about 30yrs old and has an old oil fired, hot air, central heating system. Would anyone know if it is possible to update this system without resorting to getting radiators. We have vents in the floors which allow the hot air circulate and I would really like to keep them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've only ever seen this in one house; which I rented many years ago. It was in a 30 year old development also. I believe these systems were proven to be unreliable and a potential health hazard as smoke and combustion gases (CO) could permeate throughout the house in the event of fire or malfunction of the burner. This type of system (as constructed then) would not be acceptable under Irish Building regulations now for reasons of fire safety, unless substantial alterations were carried out to ensure the integrity of fire resisiting construction etc. In short your best bet is a conventional low pressure rad system and close off any of the vents that remain.

Relations had one of these, again 30-40 year old house. As children we could listen to conversations in other rooms through the floor ducts. One day the 'boiler'/furnace decided to pump black oily smoke throughout the whole house. Had to redecorate whole house and replaced with a standard radiator system.

Anyway 5 seconds with Google () comes up with this : [broken link removed]

Towger

Thanks for that guys. I found that site on google too, but to try and find an Irish equivalent is the problem.

My parents had this and replaced with Gas Central Heating (using the new cupboard as storage from where the big main system was taken out). Doing this allowed them to build wardrobes all along the walls in the bedrooms rather than leaving a gap. Apparently it was a very expensive system and you had to plan for it to be cold as it needed a day to heat up. A memory of childhood sitting behind the couch on top of the vent in the sitting room is one I'd rather forget

Back