Hons Deg Sc: Going back to do secondary school teaching

And76

I have an honours degree in Science, graduated in 1999 and am now thinking of going back to do secondary school teaching. Would I have to start from scratch or does my degree still stand to me? I have only worked in admin since.

Re: Going back to do secondary school teachin

Have you the leaving certificate requirements?
Think you need honours Irish

You need to a Hdip anyway, info here
[broken link removed]

Your degree will stand to you.

You do not need higher level Irish (that's only applicable for primary teaching).

You do need to do the H. Dip in Education or post graduate diploma in education (PGDE). Entry for these courses is very competitive.
DCU run a [broken link removed] PGDE.

Try to get as much experience teaching in a school before applying as this will increase your chances of being accepted plus you'll also see if you're cut out for it.

Is your degree approved for secondary teaching by the Teacher Council ? - normally they'll say what secondary subjects your qualified to teach.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=202&NID=160#3._Recognition

It's tough getting a full-time permanent teaching post at secondary level and you will most certainly need to offer two subjects, even then you may well end up subbing for a good few years.

The following website has message board worth investigating just to see how those already qualifed are fairing.

www.educationposts.ie

Can I strongly recommend that you try and get some teaching experience before doing the HDip - as already suggested below. 1.To see if you actually like it (been there and discovered I didn't), 2. Helps to increase your points.

It is possible to get substitute work - it's well paid. I'd go in to the school first thing every morning on the off chance that a sub would be required. I typically ended up with 3-4 classes. Think about extra curricular activities that you can help out with - this was one of the ways that I got to do a fair bit of teaching. I realise if you're working - it's a big commitment to give it up, but wouldn't it be worse to go and do the HDIp and discover then you don't like it!

Like others have said, it's difficult - but not impossible to get in. It's a points scale and interview if I remember correctly. Look up other sites and I'm sure you'll find more information on this and do what you can to increase your points.

Back