Home Working

Fnergg

Home Working is popular in the US and I believe it is beginning to take off here as well. Is anyone here doing it - or know anyone who is? I would be interested in hearing about the pros and cons.

What I mean by Home Working is not an employee working from home on the odd day. Instead, the HW sets up his/her own business to provide a service to a number of companies. The HW provides his/her own PC, telephone, broadband line etc., and pays for his/her training with the company or companies he/she is providing the service to.

The HW is not therefore an employee of any company. He/she is a one person outsource operation. He/she may be doing outbound account collection calls for one company, inbound customer service calls for another, and so forth.

The HW is paid, typically, per minute spent speaking to customers per hour. Quality monitoring is done remotely by the companies the HW is contracted to and any updates on processes and procedures is done by email.

I know one company in the UK that has contracts with 200 Home Workers and the model is working very successfully. There are no Data Protection issues and the typical HW is, in this company's experience, much more productive than the typical call centre employee.

There are obvious societal advantages in that there is no time spent commuting. It is also ideal, I would think, for physically disabled people who may find it difficult to commute. From the HW's perspective there is the advantage of being one's own boss and being able to contract with different companies.

So, is anyone doing it...or thinking of doing so?

Regards,

Fnergg

I've looked into it a number of times before but the oppertunities never seemed there, or else I just couldnt find them.

Good post Fnergg, I've a great interest in this subject too. [broken link removed] is a Virtual Assitant based in Tralee who'll be attending [broken link removed]k this weekend where I look forward to learning much more from her about the subject of home-working.

~~~~~~~
-James.
[broken link removed]

Thanks for those links. Very interesting.

Have a look at http://www.arise.com/Content/default.asp which is the kind of Home Working operation I have in mind i.e. providing call centre services to various companies. In effect, the Home Worker is a one-person outsourcer saving money for the client and providing the HW with the ease of working from his/her spare room.

In the USA for instance Peoples' Energy - a large Chicago based gas utility - uses HWs to make low level debt reminder calls. In the UK, Shop Direct - who run the shopping catalogue business for Littlewood's and others - are using HWs to manage customer service calls in tandem with their traditional call centres.

I think this will be the future of call centres in these islands - a mix of the traditional in-house and/or outsourced call centre and HWs. All it will take is for a few large organisations to take the risk of using HWs and then the concept will take hold big time.

Regards,

Fnergg

I am not a home worker as such but I work from home. There are many pro's and con's but the main ones IMO are:

You have to be disciplined or your output/quality falls very quickly - No TV, Radio, poping out for long shopping trips etc

If you are disciplined then your output increases considerably due to no distractions.

I am also working on a project to create a virtual helpdesk environment for my company. Basically we target people who have a suitable home environment and they will be contractors paid per inbound call and work activities. The paid rate varies depending on the quality of their work so its not a volume based rate. It will save my business a small fortune in overheads but also means for the employee that they can be flexible. In our pilot we have single parents who log in after the school run for a few hours (peak time) they log in again at night once the kids are in bed for a few hours.

It works and it will be the future of the call centre industry.

Back