Home wind turbines?

Bobby

We are currently untertaking renovation and extention to our home.

We want to include some type of sustainable energy and are considering a wind turbine.

Sales people for the above claim that this method (given the correct size turbine) will provide 100% of our electricity and heating needs.

However as we dont personally know anyone who uses this method we are dubious.

Does anyone have personal experience of using this method?

Any recomendations for alternative methods of energy production welcome.

Re: wind turbines?

I'm probably preaching to the converted, and obviously not answering your specific question, but I'd suggest that good insulation of your home (the big energy saver) should have priority over any energy generation options. It's best on a cost and environment basis. But presumably you've dealt with this as part of the renovation.

I am worjing on a job where a wind turbine went in over the summer & was commissioned at the start of September , it has barely turned since it went in and certainly hasn't turned enough to generate anything. They have a camera on it 24/7 and a weather station recording its moves.

All I am saying is don't depend on it

Don't listen to anything the sales people tell you, to get any kind meaningful recommendation you would have to put up an anemometer and record the wind statistics for your site over a few months.

It is economically unfeasible to supply 100% of your electricity as the size of the battery bank (batteries need replacing on rotation) and inverter required will eat up a huge proportion of your savings.

On our site for example the average windspeed would generate about 1/3 of the capacity of the turbine. So to generate 1kw we would need a 3kw turbine. But we can only achieve the average windspeed 1/3 or the time. so to average 1kw we would need a 9kw turbine to charge a large battery bank.

You will find that the turbines that most companies are selling will generate about 40 -120 euros worth of electricity per year. Add it up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2006/11/are_domestic_wind_turbines_an_ecocon.html

Insulate your house, try to make best use of solar radiation by chosing the orientation of the house and size / type of windows accordingly and install a heat recovery ventilation system. The initial cost will be less / similar, savings will be greater and the ongoing maintenace costs (heat recovery unit) will be miniscule in comparison. On top of that your house will achieve an A rating and will be more valuable and easier to sell.

Hi bobby
i currently have a 6 kw turbine installed in donegal, since march last year it has produced 11300 kw. app 1600 euros worth of electric. your site is extremely important. hope this can be of help.
pmg

approx 15k sterling + vat from proven turbines scotland
[not cheap], but built like a tank. had to install myself
turbine cost 7765st inverter 2500st 15 meter tower 3500 the rest for controller and various parts. its due its first service in a months time.
im getting 90 % of hot water & 40 to 60 % of heating.

In general - Are there any planning regulation issues when installing a 15 metre tower with a turbine on your property?

you dont need planning for up to 10 meters.
for 15 you do need planning, and it can be very hard work.

Back