Home insurance - what are people paying on average?

I am surprised at some of the contents valuations. Tv and other white goods would surely be bulk of what needs to be covered. Would they really be north of 50k ?
You should be insured for the cost of replacing every single item in your house in the case of a serious fire - furniture , clothes , electrical goods, jewellery etc. It all adds up

I am surprised at some of the contents valuations. Tv and other white goods would surely be bulk of what needs to be covered. Would they really be north of 50k ?
Furniture? Clothes? A decent suite of furniture could be few grand, friend got new couch lately 4k, fantastic mind you and huge 3 sided thing but nevertheless! Dining set/beds/blinds/curtains. In fact I think 50k is low for most houses unless maybe a rented one with basic furnishings. I have a really cheap tv, 300 quid years ago but these days some of them are unbelieveable prices too.

You should be insured for the cost of replacing every single item in your house in the case of a serious fire - furniture , clothes , electrical goods, jewellery etc. It all adds up
+1, if you walked around your house room by room and added up the cost of replacing everything I think you'd be surprised at the figure you end up with. I've mine at €90K which is the max that Aviva will allow me due to my alarm not been up to modern standards and reckon I'm probably underinsured by 10 to 20%
But here's the thing if I was unlucky to have the house burn down to the ground I doubt very much at this stage in life that I'd replace half of what would have been lost, I would probably pair back everything to just the bare minimum of the things/items I use

But here's the thing if I was unlucky to have the house burn down to the ground I doubt very much at this stage in life that I'd replace half of what would have been lost, I would probably pair back everything to just the bare minimum of the things/items I use
I have a turn on my stairs. The carpet thread on 3 steps has worn. It looks ugly. Unfortunately there is not enough carpet to "turn" so we are living with it. We have a wide hall stairs and landing. I cannot see myself paying over €5k to replace this carpet just because 3 steps are worn.

Replaced our washing machine last week €700 for basically the same model.

The sun has bleached some of our dining room furniture. We can live with it.

Curtains could do with replacing. We will live with them.

Our contents are insured for €50k.

Going forward, the only thing I can see being replaced is.....bath gone and walk-in shower in it's place.

Curtains could do with replacing. We will live with them.

Our contents are insured for €50k.
The risk here is if you are unfortunate enough to have a fire, the assessor might decide that you are under-insured and reduce the payout accordingly.

House insurance is up for renewal shortly - €615K rebuild costs ( more than the value of the house o_O ) , €70K contents, 1 specified item at €4k, Accidental Cover included , Voluntary Excess €500 and initial renewal was €615 with Avivia...

Over last few days, being getting online quotes:

Anpost / FBD / Zurich - all around €630 -> €650
AIG - €1213.58 ( yes, I checked & checked again!)
AXA won't quote me online ( nothing personal I assume!)
Aviva €481 (new customer quote)

Have other insurance with Aviva and with Zurich (cars) - otherwise quote details are like for like across the different companies & all online only.

Recent quote from Zurich:
Rebuild costs 460k
Contents 90k
Specified items 24k
No family | No Legal Protection | No accidental Damanage

2023 initial quote €650, got it down to €563
2024 Initial quote €770...

Havent rang to scream and shout that they might further discount it!

Last edited:
That time of the year for me too:
semi-detatched owner-occupied 4 bed in Midleton (up a hill), max NCB.
SCSI rebuild cost approx €380k, FBD had index-linked, etc to 413k.
contents €72k (nothing specified, just loads of "stuff")

FBD - renewal quote €499
I spent a while yesterday online:
I rounded the rebuild figure to 410k and contents to 70k.
Zurich: 590
An Post: 860
Allianz: 515 (through Chill), 538 (direct)
Aviva: 850
The AA: 850 - 2 car policies with AA (which I stated on the online application) - they then rang me and brought it down to 623 but were shocked I got a quote below 500
FBD online as new customer: 542
Aviva and 123.ie refused to quote online probably because Midleton :-( although I did get a robocall from Aviva saying " we called you about your quote but we have no-one to take the call?!?"

I decided since my policy is not up for another week I would wait.

FBD rang today and asked whether I would renew, I asked whether they could do better on the price and that I was shopping around. She went through the usual questions, then offered me €450.

I took it.

Their assumption being that size would have been factored in already.
From speaking to the agent, it seems not! They know the amount of bedrooms, roof coverage but not the size! Once I realigned with the cost of rebuild calculator, the price returned to the same price as last year so no increase in cost with the same specified items and contents.

Back