Home Insurance for unoccupied apartment

David_Dublin

Hi - I've tried getting quotes online for an unoccupied apartment and haven't succeeded yet. Anyone come across this issue and found a broker or provider that will insure. The apartment is unoccupied as the owner has passed away, it will remain unoccupied until sale has gone through.

If the owner had insurance previously they should give you a quote which would be similar to what they paid up to now. This was my experience BUT my situation was a house rather than an apartment. Apartments tend to have insurance on block for building issues so I presume you are talking about content kinda like fire and theft issue internally ? Does it need insurance ?

Good point about it likely only being contents. If that's the case then there's not much to cover and I might leave it. I'm the Executor so I was inclined to insure it. The existing policy is expired > 2 weeks, had I got it sooner I could have renewed online, now they won't do it as its unoccupied.

had I got it sooner I could have renewed online, now they won't do it as its unoccupied
You are probably obliged to notify them either way so the cover may have been null and void in the event of a claim.

There are some previous AAM threads here which might give some advice. Personally I don't think it would refer to contents cover only and with the responsibility as Executor it would be best if you were to give a few brokers a call. It won't be cheap either but for peace of mind it would be worth it.

In days of old the last insurer would have had to quote for cases like this.

General household contents have little or no value & I doubt its worth worrying about insurance.

If there are items listed in a letter of wishes, you can distribute them now (get signed doc from recipient).

If the beneficiaries agreed you could have them select mementoes they might like to have.

You could remove any valuable silver / antiques etc., for safe keeping pending sale.

Simples - turn off the water.
Generally a prerequisite to obtain insurance on an uninhabited building, there's still a risk of a failure in the shut-off valve or the pipework immediately before it, but failures there are quite rare.

Back