holiday parks in france

Westgolf

Good evening everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a campsite / mobile home park in france. Ideally not too far from the ferry ports. Its for two adults and a five year old. We have done the Haven campsites in the uk, taking one of their mobile home options but the weather is not guaranteed. Some place with good facilities and near a good shopping location. All comments welcomed and answered. If you have had a good experience in a site in the uk please mention that too.

Thanks

Westgolf

Hi I would recommend having a look at Italian campsites we have been going for the last 3 years to a place along the Adriatic coast a place called pra delle torri its a fabalous place everything you need on site. The flights would probably coast the same as the ferry to France. It's worth a look.

We went to Annecy in France with a 4 and 1 year old. Had a great time. Loads to see and do there, mountains and lakes all around. Problem is it's 1,000km off the boat so wouldn't suit you in that regard.

Steven

Good evening everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a campsite / mobile home park in france. Ideally not too far from the ferry ports. Its for two adults and a five year old. We have done the Haven campsites in the uk, taking one of their mobile home options but the weather is not guaranteed. Some place with good facilities and near a good shopping location. All comments welcomed and answered. If you have had a good experience in a site in the uk please mention that too.

Thanks

Westgolf
What port are you going to use? Near the Channel ports, we stayed at a campsite at Pontorson, Camping Haliotis, near Mont St. Michel. Very good. In Brittany, we stayed at Camping Point St. Gilles, Benodet, good, and Camping du Letty just across the road, not much facilities. If you can be in Benodet on August 15th, there is a great festival and firework display that evening. We also stayed in Camping Kervilor, near Trinite sur Mer, a few miles from Carnac, quite good. Basically, if you pick a campsite in the Eurocamp brochure, they will nearly all have kids' clubs, pools and sports facilities. Book direct with the campsite, they nearly all speak good English , and you will save €€ over brochure prices.

Not sure what kind of shopping you mean but there are always loads of Supermarche, Intermarche, Carrefour or Geant superstores nearby for great food shopping or household goods.

Point St. Gilles is a nice campsite (although it a few years since I was there) which is not to far from the ports and it's is a handy drive to Quimper, which is a nice town.

Hi I would recommend having a look at Italian campsites we have been going for the last 3 years to a place along the Adriatic coast a place called pra delle torri its a fabalous place everything you need on site. The flights would probably coast the same as the ferry to France. It's worth a look.

Italy probably a bit far for us this year, but will keep it in mind for next year, Thanks again

westgolf

What port are you going to use? Near the Channel ports, we stayed at a campsite at Pontorson, Camping Haliotis, near Mont St. Michel. Very good. In Brittany, we stayed at Camping Point St. Gilles, Benodet, good, and Camping du Letty just across the road, not much facilities. If you can be in Benodet on August 15th, there is a great festival and firework display that evening. We also stayed in Camping Kervilor, near Trinite sur Mer, a few miles from Carnac, quite good. Basically, if you pick a campsite in the Eurocamp brochure, they will nearly all have kids' clubs, pools and sports facilities. Book direct with the campsite, they nearly all speak good English , and you will save €€ over brochure prices.

Not sure what kind of shopping you mean but there are always loads of Supermarche, Intermarche, Carrefour or Geant superstores nearby for great food shopping or household goods.

Exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, will check out kervilor. Thank you in particular for the tip re eurocamp and booking direct,will definitely have a look at that,regarding shopping we dont want BT, just not to have to drive 30/40km to do a good stock-up shop !

many thanks again

Westgolf

We went to Annecy in France with a 4 and 1 year old. Had a great time. Loads to see and do there, mountains and lakes all around. Problem is it's 1,000km off the boat so wouldn't suit you in that regard.

Steven

Thanks Steven, 1000km is a bit of a spin alright, might have a look and see could we break our journey midway or something.

Westgolf

edit : duplication of response DOH...

Last edited:
Hi, I have been going to France for over 30 years. First in tents, then trailer tents then various caravans. We have 2 children but discovered a campsite in the Dordogne years ago that I think could fit the bill. It is very French but small with a beautiful pool. Ideally suited if you want to meet French families and not 1000s of Irish and English in "organized" camps. The area of the Dordogne is wonderful for visits and the food is out of this world. This is a link to the campsite. Its a Camping a la ferme however the owner passed away last year but it it still being run by the family. Hope this helps. BTW we still have had our caravan there in "gardinage" for over 10 years. Now we own a house about 3 hours south but still go to the caravan to meet up with old French friends.
http://www.tourisme-aquitaine.fr/nl...rillac-et-millac/camping-la-perigourdine.html

If you're going to drive 1000K you must stop overnight and make it part of the holiday. It depends on your ferry times, but you might want to drive a couple of hours in France and then stop, there are lovely places, I use 'Logis de France' to find interesting hotels at reasonable prices and they generally have lovely food as well. I refuse to stop for any reason on the motorways other than for toilet facilities. We often take a cooler with a picnic and stop in the smaller places with tables. Kids love it.

Fly/Drive

If you like good weather and don't mind the heat than I'd recommend La Palmeire/La Baume in the Cote d'Azur. It's a very large campsite, has all the major companies and has any type of varity of caravan, tent or chalet. Great pools. Onsite shop, but you're only minutes from the very lively Frejus/St. Raphael and loads of large supermarkets. Plus the beaches. (Brittany would be too cold for me, but it's beautiful - and I'd like to point out that the last two years due to Global Warming - or whatever, that weather was particularly bad in certain parts of Europa - including for example places you wouldn't think of like the beaches in Portugal)

We went to Domaine Des Ormes in Brittany, and the kids absolutely loved it. They were aged 11 down to 6. It was a short enough drive from Cherbourg. It's close to Mont St Michel, which HAS to be visited. St Malo is another short drive and is beautiful and has a very nice aquarium. The campsite has lovely pools. We didn't really go to the pub but it seemed to be nice and lively.

Back