Holiday insurance only Paying my part

deehegart

hi all,

Myself and partner were to travel last august 31st, however, he had an accident and had to have op etc done. I booked and paid for flights and airbnb etc and he pays spends thats how we both do it, however, My annual insurance asked for all the originals etc wrote out asking for more etc and now today 50 days later I got a letter saying that they will only pay my share as he is not on my insurance and he must claim off his own. I am furious as in my 3 phone calls and written reply for originals they never said this. They said he is not on my insurance which is true but as he didnt pay for it, his insurance wont reimburse him I am sure?? so is this a major problem so all couples should pay separately? I should also state he lives in UK. So should me both by joint insurance in both countries?? would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks Cremeegg, I wonder would PeteB have any feedback on mine? he seems to be in the know

Is he named on your annual travel insurance policy?
And he had no separate policy for himself?

hi no, he has his own, but he live in UK, and I here, and also all payments are on my card, all documents with my insurance the originals etc

if he is not named on the travel insurance then the insurance company have not insured him and you've not paid for him to be insured. Why should they pay out in that case? whatever arrangement you have with him to cover costs is your own affair

I really don't want to be an apologist for the insurance industry, but that's why each person needs travel insurance. Otherwise, one party in a group trip could take out insurance, pay all travel costs for the group, then claim for them all if something went wrong. Travel insurance is usually an individual policy unless a joint/ family policy is purchased.

The fact that you have paid should not impact on his ability to claim from his own policy.

I don't understand why you are annoyed at your insurance company to be honest. He was not on the policy so how could you expect them to pay out for him.
Are you saying that he has a travel policy in the UK? And that you paid the premium for that UK policy?

Thanks Leo, hopefully they will pay out for him. I think we will have to buy double policys in Ireland and Uk so covered all ways, just a shame it took them 50 days to tell me that!
I really don't want to be an apologist for the insurance industry, but that's why each person needs travel insurance. Otherwise, one party in a group trip could take out insurance, pay all travel costs for the group, then claim for them all if something went wrong. Travel insurance is usually an individual policy unless a joint/ family policy is purchased.

The fact that you have paid should not impact on his ability to claim from his own policy.

Thanks Leo I hope his will pay for him . It looks like we may have to get joint policy from both countries for future
I don't understand why you are annoyed at your insurance company to be honest. He was not on the policy so how could you expect them to pay out for him.
Are you saying that he has a travel policy in the UK? And that you paid the premium for that UK policy?

No not saying that at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cremeegg, I wonder would PeteB have any feedback on mine? he seems to be in the know

Ha Ha. Its not to do with being in the know. its just do to with reading the fine print. ;)

I think Leo has said enough here. Even if he was named on your policy the cover wouldnt stand as he would have to be resident in this country.

Back