Holiday in the US suggestions

figgy

Hi,

Girlfriend and I going to Washington for a wedding mid september. We want to make a two week holiday out of it and wil prob spent 4 days in washington.

We are wondering does anyone have any ideas on what / where to spend the rest of our time. We are not fussy although I like activities or history and she wants a least a little beech or sun (though not exclusively).

We are willing to do internal flights if needs be or rent a car....

Any suggestions no matter how wild or wonderful would be great!!!

Thanks

PS We have both been to NY too many times to mention so trying to avoid NY

Miami.

Great beach, lots of sun. Hire a car and there's a world of things to do... maybe head down to the Keys, go for a ride in one of those boat thingeys with the huge propeller around the swamps, visit Hemmingways house, check out the art-deco, fishing, amazing food etc. Not too far by internal flight from Washington. (I presume you mean DC)

Miami.

Great beach, lots of sun. Hire a car and there's a world of things to do... maybe head down to the Keys, go for a ride in one of those boat thingeys with the huge propeller around the swamps, visit Hemmingways house, check out the art-deco, fishing, amazing food etc. Not too far by internal flight from Washington. (I presume you mean DC)

Hemmingways House in Key West is a fantastic place to visit - wait until you see the freaky 6 toed cats! There is also plenty of other historical things to do in KW so it is well worth the journey. You can tour "The Little White House" where all the Cuban Missile Crisis drama took place. Loads of great restaurants and bars. I way prefer Key West to Miami. You can rent bikes and cycle over the island or just walk everywhere - you def. don't need a car.

Oops. Meant Key West when I said "The Keys"

Sorry didn't mean to be fussy - just providing further info!

The fight in to KW is fun as only small planes can land on the runway. We flew in an 8 seater from Tampa! However, I think the runway can take planes as big as 80 seaters so it is no too small!

We drove down the atlantic coast on the A1A last November from Orlando to west palm beach which is a cool place, fort Laurdedale down thru Miami onto key west. When you get to KW you have to go to the butterfly avairy really cool. We had our little one year old with us and she realy enjoyed it. You walk thru it and the butterflys are flying all around U.
Same as above nice restaurants and some crazy looking bars in the place though we could not go into any of them with 1 year old. But they brought some fond memorys for me and the missus.

Some great ideas there - thanks

I think we will fly doen to florida from Washington and drive our way to Key west!

Looks like I will have to get a guide book for florida

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

If you like history then plenty of war of independence sites in Virginia. Also plenty of Plantations to visit. You are close to Appalachian (spelling?) mountains also which is one very beautiful area. Florida is only sunshine and beach that you can get anywhere in South Europe. Virginia has a coast that would suffice for that. I would not waste time flying to Florida, totally overrated imho.
Have you thought of renting a RV ? Campsites and state parks in USA are top notch.

Might be still a bit too humid/sticky in Florida in Mid Sept. Also still in Hurricane season so there is a off-chance that your trip gets disrupted.

Back