holiday entitlement - school bus employment (No Contract)

Yes indeed -I am going to mention it when I call into his office , I just recall the last time I had a query re holiday with him - I mentioned about the year starting March to following March - or whatever the dates are - he said - we operate the calender year here - I said ok , I just wonder now , he has said he can give me a week holiday pay at Xmas if I want it - he won’t be giving me any pay at all next Easter - when a business uses the calender year instead of the actual leave year , does the leave year not end 31 Dec? I am a bit bamboozled!
The leave year runs over a 12 month period which should be expressed in the contract.

The entitlement is no different regardless of which 12 month period applies: e.g. 1 January-31 December or 1April-31 March etc.

So would I be right in thinking that 16 days - works out -( 25 hour working week )- at 3 weeks and a day , statutory leave ? Thks a lot
You should get away from thinking of it in terms of weeks - stick to hours and days, it’s simpler.

If you’re paid for 45 weeks (52 minus the 7 you sign on for), then use this figure for the purposes of calculating your entitlement.

So it’s 45 x 25 x 8% = 90 hours leave.

To take a day off, you need just 5 hours leave (because your normal working day is 5 hours).

So the number of days leave you would have is 90 divided by 5 which gives you 18 days exactly.

In simple terms Holiday entertainment is at least 8% or hours worked. Plus Holiday Hours taken.
Ok majority of school bus drivers are paid for bank holidays - you get the same weeks wages with no deductions on bank holidays - plus holiday hours taken - not quite too sure , does that lessen my statutory leave somewhat by virtue of being paid for those - thanks for everybody’s patience , I’m really learning a lot about something I had no need to know anything about in the public service - (i do know a lot of the drivers are not for example getting anything extra - day off in lieu for extra bank holiday work etc which is not very nice but they are glad to have a job -afraid to say anything - sorry off topic - )

Are you paid for your week off in October and at Christmas?
I got a week in October , he is making a bit of an issue if he gives me Xmas , be nothing for Easter two weeks - I’m asking for Xmas - hol pay one week - he works calendar from - after I return back after summer break , (come off job seekers) and he has a job available ( as he had for last 3.5 yrs) 26 Aug ( approx) to when I finish - generally June 27 th the following year - that’s the way he works leave

Your reply is very confusing.

Let's take Salvadore's calculation that you have 18 days paid annual leave (at 5 hours per day). This does not include public holidays (PH).

So take the Easter week as an example. The Monday is a PH, so to have the full weeks holidays, you would use 4 days of your Annual leave.

I think it would help you in your discussions if you get pen & paper and do up a chart for the days you work, public holidays, annual leave etc.

Your reply is very confusing.

Let's take Salvadore's calculation that you have 18 days paid annual leave (at 5 hours per day). This does not include public holidays (PH).

So take the Easter week as an example. The Monday is a PH, so to have the full weeks holidays, you would use 4 days of your Annual leave.

I think it would help you in your discussions if you get pen & paper and do up a chart for the days you work, public holidays, annual leave etc.
When there is a PH , for example a Monday , and the rest of the week is the usual school run - I get paid the full week as per usual. My question is , does this ( getting paid for a day I don’t / can’t work-PH- have any effect on statutory leave )

When there is a PH , for example a Monday , and the rest of the week is the usual school run - I get paid the full week as per usual.
In your circumstances, you are entitled to a paid day off on public holidays. The following is an explanation from citizens information of how part time employees should be treated.

Part-time employees​

If you work for your employer for at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and it falls on a day you normally work, you get paid for the day even if you don’t work. If you have to work that day, you are entitled to an extra day's pay.

My question is , does this ( getting paid for a day I don’t / can’t work-PH- have any effect on statutory leave )

None at all. It even counts as hours worked for the purposes of calculating your annual leave.

In your circumstances, you are entitled to a paid day off on public holidays. The following is an explanation from citizens information of how part time employees should be treated.

Part-time employees​

If you work for your employer for at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and it falls on a day you normally work, you get paid for the day even if you don’t work. If you have to work that day, you are entitled to an extra day's pay.

None at all. It even counts as hours worked for the purposes of calculating your annual leave.
That’s very interesting to know. Can I just say thank you very much salvadore for taking the time to reply , your very good.

It would be so much clearer for you if your employer gave you the information in writing as he is required to do by law, according to citizens advice website.

Next time you are in the office ask him for the annual leave details in writing and if he says that he does not have it, will do it sometime, you don’t need it etc., then say you are concerned that by not providing you with your terms of employment in writing you are afraid the company are letting themselves open by sanction by the workplace relations commission. If he ignores you complain to the WRC. Sometimes a phone call from them will sort it all out.

It would be so much clearer for you if your employer gave you the information in writing as he is required to do by law, according to citizens advice website.

Next time you are in the office ask him for the annual leave details in writing and if he says that he does not have it, will do it sometime, you don’t need it etc., then say you are concerned that by not providing you with your terms of employment in writing you are afraid the company are letting themselves open by sanction by the workplace relations commission. If he ignores you complain to the WRC. Sometimes a phone call from them will sort it all out.
Jobs might slow up to a pint of not enough work !!!

I can't see such a confrontational approach ending well for either party.

There are better ways to address this if the OP plays smart.

I can't see such a confrontational approach ending well for either party.

There are better ways to address this if the OP plays smart.
It wouldn’t work here - charm offensive is best option ! Have my Xmas hols sorted anyway - he thinks that’s it - I’m out of sorts at mo ,but , that’s that done - I’ll tackle the shortage that’s built up in January ! All good for now - really appreciate all the advice and guidance here

It wouldn’t work here - charm offensive is best option ! Have my Xmas hols sorted anyway - he thinks that’s it - I’m out of sorts at mo ,but , that’s that done - I’ll tackle the shortage that’s built up in January ! All good for now - really appreciate all the advice and guidance here
Good luck with it and enjoy the Christmas.

Just one other last query !! Sorry !!!
I only work the school year - not available there for other work - unable to drive bigger licence category vehicles - sign on for job seekers when school closes -

I presume I cannot count school closures for purposes of statutory annual leave as I am not available for work there …..

Closures - Easter / Xmas / mid term breaks x2
Am I correct here ? Thank you

Just one other last query !! Sorry !!!
I only work the school year - not available there for other work - unable to drive bigger licence category vehicles - sign on for job seekers when school closes -

I presume I cannot count school closures for purposes of statutory annual leave as I am not available for work there …..

Closures - Easter / Xmas / mid term breaks x2
Am I correct here ? Thank you
Annual leave is exactly that.

You accrue it based on the annualised hours you work.

For example if you work at least 1365 hours a year, you are entitled to 20 days paid annual leave.

Back