Holding Deposit paid, Price Increase allowed?

Julie D17

So we put a holding deposit on a house in August 2016 to secure a property we were interested in, due to complicated Planning issues, the contracts are now only ready to be issued. However, as a result of the developer being hit with charges to finish the estate (ex NAMA estate) he has risen the price of the house by 15-20%.

Do we have a leg to stand on? The holding deposit does state the price we agreed at the time. I am awaiting a call back from my solicitor, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

We do feel that we can bargain with him on the increase, especially as it's not really our problem that he is incurring charges, but of course we would rather pay the agreed price. Anybody have any thoughts?

Legally I don't think that you can hold him to the original price. While the charges he incurred are not your problem, the market has moved on since August 2016 and so it is not surprising that he is now looking for a higher price.

Don't think you have a case as no contracts signed and its not like you are going to test that by going to court?

Just try and do a deal.

Back