HMV rip-offs ?

GAME/EB same as HMV on price

While we're at it (price comparisons that is) GAME\Electronic Boutique is one of the most expensive places to buy vidoe games at least €5 more expensive even in games like the platinum series. Dixons have a much more limited selection but are much cheaper and apart from online vendors Gamesworld have some of the best prices.

CGAN

HMV aren't so bad.....

Really depends on what you are buying. In the majority of cases buying online is cheaper ( as it should be as you are probably dealing with a warehouse in the middle of nowhere rather than a showroom on Grafton Street ).

But now and again HMV have their moments. E.G Recently saw the Sopranos Various Complete Series for 64.99 euro compared to 48.99 STG on www.play.com.

Then there are some CD's you can't buy on Play or CD Wow e.g the excellent Setlist Album by the Frames.

In short, my own view is that if you are buying something thats not part of a sale in either HMV or Virgin you would be better off buying on the internet. Unless of course its not available on the net.

Re: HMV - s ?

Just as a matter of interest, the Kelley Miller email (outlined in the first post of this thread) and follow-up to same gets a mention in today's Indo (registration required).

hmv

One thing that really p*sses me off about HMV is; when they have a sale on, they have an area of the shop with their "sale" CD's which is separate from their "regular" (non-sale) CD's. On a number of occasions when I've been looking for particular CD's I've found the SAME CD's in both sections priced at DIFFERENT prices!! It's bloody stupid. You have CD's on sale in the shop for two completely different prices - and substantially different at that! The idea that HMV are happy to charge you more than you need to pay for a CD just because you didn't spot the cheaper one leaves a bitter taste in this customer's mouth and certainly devalues the "HMV brand" (as Tedd has already stated).

I'm also reminded of another HMV story. A few years back (during the month of December) HMV produced free catalogues advertising suggested Christmas gifts from their store. In the booklet there were a number of money off vouchers. I got one of these catalogues somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where, it may have come through my letterbox! Anyway, I thought the vouchers were handy and I thought to myself - "I must bring them with me next time I'm going to HMV".

Of course, the next time I went to HMV I forgot to bring the vouchers! It was while I was at the counter paying for a CD that I noticed a big pile of HMV catalogues sitting in front of me. *Ding* I remembered the vouchers!! I picked up a catalogue and went to the vouchers page and asked the girl behind the counter if I could use one of the vouchers to get £1 off the £15 priced CD I had just handed over my money for. The girl refused and said something to the effect that the vouchers were for people who had read the catalogue before they made their purchases!! I told her that I had one of the catalogues at home and that I had read it, and that's how I knew about the vouchers. With a face on her, she told me that she'd have to ask her manager if I could have a pound back in exchange for the voucher. I said, "ok, ask your manager". She phoned up her manager and got permission to do it! And so I got my pound back!

The moral of the story... the old adage "let the buyer beware" is particularly true when it comes to HMV!

Re: hmv

The girl refused and said something to the effect that the vouchers were for people who had read the catalogue before they made their purchases!!

You should have told her you were illiterate.

-Rd

Re: lol

Have to agree about the excellent value of CDwow.

By the way if you paste this link into your browser:

[broken link removed]

in conjunction with this offer: www.cdwow.com/trustcard

you will get a further stg£2.50 off DVDs and stg£2.00 of CDs. For further great offers like these keep an eye on:

www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/fo...?Forum=223

I recently got the Region 3 DVD of Chicago for 7.42 Euro with these offers, wheares the cheapest I've seen in it (Region 2 admittedly - but practically the same) in the shops here is at Tesco for 22.99 Euro.

HMV

Always felt HMV was a rip off until I bought a CD rack from the HMV branch on Grafton street. The rack which cost me £20.00 was boxed. I brought it home and opened it to find 6 Macy Grey CD's inside. Obviously they were put there by a lazy member of staff who should have taken them back to the stock room or something. Anyway to cut a long story short and I am not proud of this I brought back each individual CD and swapped it for something I liked. In some cases I even received a cash refund for the difference.

Re: HMV

Hmmm...guess that explains why they have to charge so much to make a profit.

With all due respect, I don't think Jamie's story explains that at all Tedd.

What Jamie...did was obviously not the most admirable thing in the world to do...as he admits himself, but I doubt it counts for HMV hiking up their prices, does it? HMV in particular charge ridiculously high prices for CD's and although the morally right thing to do might have been to bring the CD's back, the onus is on the retailer not to do something so stupd in the first place.

Piggy.

Obviously Jamie is not solely responsible for HMV's pricing structure!! And I don't mean to be offensive to him in any way, and the following remarks are not directed at him.

I do think it is important to point out that fraud and theft have a real cost to companies and that translates into a real increase in cost to consumers. Whether the loss of stock occurs from theft, fraud or simply laziness by employees (as is speculated to be the case here and as mentioned in another context ) these actions have a definite effect on the profitability of a business. A unprofitable business will either increase prices or close down. We all start whinging when prices go up or jobs are lost, but our everyday actions can have a direct impact on those events.

It's easy to think a big company like HMV won't miss a few CDs but multiply that thought by even one hundred people a week throughout their business and you are talking about a lot of money.

tedd

It's easy to think a big company like HMV won't miss a few CDs but multiply that thought by even one hundred people a week throughout their business and you are talking about a lot of money.

A problem which all high street retailers face, and yet some can sell CD's for half or even less than half the price that HMV charges. No matter how you slice it there is no justification for HMV's prices.

Is what Jamie did Theft or Fraud? Have you ever heard the phrase "Check your change, errors can not be corrected later". That works both ways. If the shop undercharges or gives you too much, that's their problem. You haven't broken the law. (Some legal brain can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

It should IMHO be considered no greater theft than doubling the price of merchandise and then claiming to have a 2 for 1 promotion. The "thefts" are in fact Errors by the people being stolen from. HMV's error to give away free CD's, and customers errors for not shopping around.

You can be altruistic and correct a shop that makes a mistake, but I see no obligation to. If the shop behaved decently, offered good value, and didn't insult the intelligence of it's customers then I would give back the CD's. But there is no way I would even consider doing so if the shop was HMV.

Of course I won't be stumbling across any free CD's in HMV boxes, because like a lot of people, I won't be going back.

-Rd

I haven't gone away, you know, Elcato ;) but I'm not going to rise to your troll.

Is what Jamie did Theft or Fraud?

Just so my comments are entirely clear may I draw your attention to my opening remarks:

Obviously Jamie is not solely responsible for HMV's pricing structure!! And I don't mean to be offensive to him in any way, and the following remarks are not directed at him.

Irrespective of how many retailers face the sort of problems referred to, it impacts on the prices we all pay for our goods...that is, those of us who pay for our goods ;)

We all start whinging when prices go up or jobs are lost,

this thread is about the huge price difference between HMV and "almost" every other seller of DVD's CD's etc.

but our everyday actions can have a direct impact on those events.

Given the price difference between HMV and others (100%) this just doesn't hold up. HMV and Virgin on Henry St. Are practically next door to each other. I don't believe that the 100% price difference is due to the actions of the general public.

Nobody is saying that DVD's cost too much in general. the fact that they may be able to knock off a euro or two if they could stamp out shoplifting is not the issue.

The issue is that HMV is misleading the public when they claim to have a 2 for 1 sale. HMV is the crook in this instance.

-Rd

Killteragh's link to CDWOW

Hey Killteragh, do you get a commission if people buy stuff using the affiliate link (the first CDWOW link) you posted above? And if so shouldn't you have informed us?

If not then I apologise for being paranoid.

CGAN.

Hi,

With very odd exception, the net is the place to buy new games, cds, dvds, computer & camera parts etc

Say Good Bye to Rip Off Ireland !

regards

G>

Re: ...

CGAN,

I most certainly don't although I wish I did :$ :$ and If I did then I'd be pushing it a hell of a lot harder

As I said - keep an eye on the DVD.reviewer site for other offers which pop up from time to time

Just trying to help out my fellow CD / DVD buyers........

Back