HIV test for Mortgage Life Assurance?

Can I point out that most women who give birth undergo a HIV test on their first visit to the hospital. Also anybody who donates blood effectivly undergoes a HIV test every time (though results aren't given etc etc). I stated this on my life assurance application and there were no issues. I can't see why another provider would have a problem with you having a negative HIV test. The only issue would be waiting for the results as it takes about 3 months if I recall. Another company may not want to take you on untill they get the test results.

I've been tested for HIV three times, twice in pregnancy and once when donating breastmilk. AFAIR, there was a statement on the form you sign to give consent to the test which said that this HIV test could not be considered for life insurance, which made me think that in other circumstances a HIV test could be considered for life insurance? It does seem daft, it's like if you have a genetic condition, your life insurance isn't loaded unless you are tested positive, so if you suspect that you might have a condition, you shouldn't get tested and treated for it???????

Incidentally, two friends of mine who are a gay couple, were told that if they purchased the property as a couple they would be required to submit HIV tests, however if they purchased as 'tenants in common' they would not be required to submit HIV tests.

Back