Hiring a Car in Spain

Leper

There was a useful thread deleted on the subject some weeks ago probably the main Car Hire Culprit was named. All car hire rental companies in Spain are not the same, so do not fall into that trap. There is one car hire company (and heavily advertised in Ireland) that is nothing short of being a Legal Scam.

Do not take car hire in Spain for granted. Before you press the "Buy" button have a look on Tripadvisor regarding the reputation of whatever car hire company you deal with. You will save yourself quite a bit of money.

Also, remember what appears to be the cheapest probably will not be the cheapest. You have been warned by a disgruntled car hiring leper.

The fuel policy of the car hire company can make an enormous difference to your final cost,as I discovered in Barcelona airport when required to stump up €138 for a tank of juice in a focus.

The fuel policy of the car hire company can make an enormous difference to your final cost,as I discovered in Barcelona airport when required to stump up €138 for a tank of juice in a focus.

Good point Vandriver and this has been the case of some arguing by me with several Spanish car hire firms in the past. But, earlier in 2015 a new law was introduced in Spain giving the option of returning the car either empty or full on petrol. Needless to say returning a car full is the best option and you pay only for what you have used.

Yes, avoid the Joss Whedon company at all costs. Last time in Barcelona we used not Fivet or Sevent but the one in between and they were excellent...

I have used doyouspain several times and without any problems. After you put in your dates and see what cars are available you can then filter the results to only include companies that allow a full/full fuel policy.

Back