High electricity bills - where are we going wrong ?

That bill sounds very excessive for an apartment. I have a detached rural house - rural rates are higher, we have our own well so to run pump is expensive together with external lights etc - but my most recent bill in the summer was E211 for two months - in the winter months E250 for two months - and I am frugal with the use of electricity - I have day and night meter. Read your meter yourself and question this. The only other alternative is getting one of those energy consumption readers - I got one from Argos and plug it in to various appliances.

Angela59

Our bill is about 140 per month. I had thought that the meter was wrong and had considered getting the ESB to check it. I am after using the ESB appliance and lighting meter calculator and now I see where we're goin wrong...immersion... So the age old debate continues, Is it actually cheaper to leave the thing on constant or turn it on or off as needed?

let me try and explain my earlier email

There was an error in my earlier email when I left out a 1

the math should have been ( 2000 by 5 mins )/60 to give a consumption of 166 watts and not 66

Similarly the fridge freezer is using 250 watts an hour or 6000 watts in 24 hours.

The point I was trying to make was that while people rightly focus on the high power consuming items, there are appliances such as old fridge freezer which cost a lot to run..

The bill is made up by the wattage of the unit by the duration it is on for.

A standard electric kettle is normally rated at 2kW or 2000w which means that when switched on it draws 2000w [2000 watts] or 2kW [ two kilowatts]

If it is on for an hour then the power consumed is 2kW for the hour or 2kWh [ two kilowatt hours] [ 2kW X 1 hr ]

Electricity is priced in terms of kWh and I am currently paying 24 cent per kWh

That means that having the kettle on for an hour will cost 48 cent [2kWh by 20c ]

However typically the kettle will only be on say for 5 minutes at a time so it will cost 4 cent [48 *5/12 ] a shot or 2.44 euro every 2 months if used once a day.

In addition I have an old fridge freezer which draws 250w and is on pretty much all the time as the door seals are perished.

This means that it uses 250w an hour or 0.25 kWh so in 4 hours it uses 1kW. [4 by 0.25 ]

This means in 24 hours it uses 6 kWh [ 0.25 by 24 ] costing 144 cent a day or 87 euro every 2 months..

the math should have been ( 2000 by 5 mins )/60 to give a consumption of 166 watts and not 66

Similarly the fridge freezer is using 250 watts an hour or 6000 watts in 24 hours.

Dear God!!

What a load of rubbish!!!

Hastalavista did you never hear of the old adage " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

Back