high cost of diesel

S

smiley

does anybody know why in many cases, the price of a litre of diesel, which was always traditionally lower than petrol, is now so high??

a friend mentioned that they use diesel in the states and canada in their central heating systems and this may effect the world price in winter....sounds a tad far fetched to me...

any ideas??

Ditto.

It comes down to local tax/duty policy; the difference is far greater in other EU countries (diesel being 10-15% cheaper than unleaded), and I remember some comment at the time of the last budget to the effect that if the Government were really serious about reducing emissions, they'd do something to address the anomaly.

In the meantime, all you can do is check out www.irishfuelprices.com (or fill up at a Tesco station, if there's one near you? 87.9c/litre in Waterford, last time I passed — and I think if you spend €40 in-store you get a voucher entitling you to a further 5c/litre discount, bringing it down to 82.9c... :) )

It looks like Irish Fuel Prices has been defaced. Its a pity to see such a good service being abused like this.
ajapale

Re: defaced?

...?

I don't see anything wrong with it?

[Edit: Oh, yes, just spotted it now... :rolleyes ]

Dr M

The best page in Irish Fuel Prices is the cheapest in the whole country page. [broken link removed]

It has been defaced by some idiots making spurious and obscene entries.

Do you know of any way to alert the owners?

ajapale

I just did, via their feedback page...

Hi Smiley,
Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Do you think that the closing differential between unleaded and autodiesel might have something to do with the newer higher spec for sulphur free diesel?
ajapale

According to the 2005 Budget Summary,

• As an environmental measure, an excise differential for sulphur free petrol along the lines of that introduced for sulphur free diesel in Budget 2002 will be introduced during 2005.

I still don't see many forecourts offering the sulphur-free stuff... :\

Texaco McLoughlins in Newbridge, Co Kildare, as well as the cheapest petrol in Ireland 85.1c/l also sell the low sulphur autodiesel. I dont use autodiesel so dont know the price.
ajapale

...so that guy in Monasterevin with the handwritten sign saying "cheapest from here to Dublin" could be pulled up by the ASAI? ;)

Cheapestfuel in Ireland

Hi DrM,

Yes, Ive seen that guy, his signs have been incorrect for years. Toghers at Red House, Newhall, have been cheaper for ages. Indeed McLouglins in Newbridge have only been cheaper since Toughers took over the old Esso station near Dunnes in Newbridge.

Tescos in Maynooth (Kildare's University Town) and in Killarney are also very good value.

ajapale

diesel

thanks for your comments folks....any other ideas for the price increase??

for a product like diesel that doesnt go through the more expensive refinery treatment for petrol, i still think there must be another reason for the increase..maybe im totally wrong. ??

diesel price

The prices are up due to world wide demand.What we call diesel is (nearly) the same as home heating oil.Since demand of that product is high during winter the price is higher during winter time.
And people who could not afford to heat their home in the past with oil can do so now.There is economical growth world wide,so a higher demand.I think the US buy about a third of the diesel/kerosene that is traded in Europe.
It is the same situation all over the world,not only in Ireland.China (1.3 billion)has banned the use of SUV's using more than 10 liters/100km since the first of January this year.The next step already announced is the ban of private personal carriers using more than 8 liters/100km.
Just to show how one/a nation can get around a rise of 10 or 20%for fuel costs.

Re: diesel price

I was under the impression that Petrol is made from the same stuff as diesel fuel oil except more refined therefore it should suffer from the same supply issues as Diesel as both compete for the same raw materials.

diesel price

The stuff is distilled into separate fractions,so you get products with different properties.The lightest would be gas,the heaviest some sort of bitumen sludge.The amount of diesel depends on the source of the raw oil.Diesel is not "made"as such.It is just separated from a mixture of substances -basically.Theoretically it could be "made" from any form of carbon-timber,plastic,sugar,old carpets.A new product is Biodiesel,a diesel made from oil fruits like sunflowers or rape.The EU has sponsored projects to make it from household waste.I think in Ireland they are already separating household waste,dry and shred it,pack it in bales and store it for future use on landfill sites.It could become diesel as well.
But energy prices are not high enough yet to make it commercially successful.The breaking point for most alternatives lies at around 50-100 dollars/barrel crude oil, we are not so far away from that limit.

Speaking of that guy in Monasterevin. I got 35 euros worth there I have passed it everyday for ages and it was never convenient to pull before the by pass was built. I stopped in the other day, I dont know whats in the petrol but I didnt get nearly as much out of it as I would do from my normal place which is dearer, which was strange because with the price difference I would have gotten an extra bit in the tank.
I didnt clock it but lets just say I wont be going back.

I was under the impression that the US presence in Iraq was burning huge amounts of diesel and causing a shortage worldwide, hence the see-saw prices?

Slim 8)

diesel

hi slim...i had heard that before allright.....tanks use huge amounts of diesel..i think they get something ridiculous like 2-3 miles to the gallon!!

Re: diesel

They are also harmful to children and other living things, let's not forget... :|

Diesel price higher than petrol?

As well as some of the reasons outlined above, this [broken link removed] from Wednesday’s Motoring supplement of the Irish Times highlights a few more.

Back