Help writing letter please?

Speedwell

Not sure how to title this thread.

I am writing a letter to cancel a policy and I want to say that when I get confirmation that they have received it then that is them accepting the cancellation.

it goes something like... receipt of this letter is your acceptance etc. etc.

Agh... I can't remember the correct phrase, can someone help me please?

Thanks.

why not just write that you want to cancel it and send it by reg post.... doesn't have to be fancy, just be to the point. put name of policy holder, policy number and that you want to cancel it.

like.- receipt of this correspondence is considered acceptance of cancellation of policy... sorry, i hope you don't think i was being smart.... trust me keep it simple...

Could I just send you a PM and write in it that receipt of the PM is your acceptance that you owe me a tenner?

Point being, what legal weight does such a clause have?
Leo

I would have thought that asking them to confirm your instuctions in writing would be the key thing. also cancel any standing order/direct debit if appropiate

No legal weight whatsoever - was going to post that myself but reckoned OP had already got his/her answer and wanted to put it in the letter anyway...

Sprite

Yes I know it has no legal weight but it looks good. :)

Could I just send you a PM and write in it that receipt of the PM is your acceptance that you owe me a tenner?

Leo

Ya can try.;)

You may need to check that you don't have to complete a specific form in order to cancel the policy.

You might be better off just asking the company to cancel it and advising them that you are cancelling your direct debit with effect from a specified date.

Please acknowledge safe receipt of this letter and confirm that my policy has now been cancelled.

Just use plain English to express what you want to say rather than being bound by convention or, worse still, management speak.

How about...

Dear to whom it may concern,

I don't want to use your service anymore and

I'm not paying you any more money.

hmmm...I was trying to cancel a lease with a solicitors and they did not respond to phone calls or letters. In the end, I wrote something like "I will take a lack of response within the week as acceptance of the cancellation" and hand-delivered the letter to them, got a receipt from the receptionist. They still didn't respond, so I thought that's it then. That was a few years ago, and nary a word from them since. It was all very frustrating at the time, but I figured that after all my efforts I should be legally covered.

Back