Help! Serious breaches of employment law.

UPDATE: After 20 calls to England, 10 to the Revenue Commissioners and 10 to her Bank Manager - the firm have aggreed to pay her. So today she was paid last months wages IN CASH by a senior manager over from England. No emeregency task was taken... in the end it was a combination of simply pestering them, threating to leave and the help of an English store manager that got them to cough up the money... so finally a small bit of good news.

Thanks a million Greenfield, thats the sort of thing I was looking for

Even if the supervisor is in England, s/he should still be notified. If she complains elsewhere first, the company will straight away say "oh she never told us about this, we didn't know...blahblahblah" - not that anything they say will be credible.

Has done so... the behaviour mentioned above seems to be endemic throughout the firm - she has talked to numerous members of management all equally bad.

She could also try contacting the tax dept - play dumb and say she hasn't been paid yet, is there a problem with her new tax cert?

See above - this worked!!!!!

Tell your girlfriend to log all her grievances, and contact Free Legal Advice. http://www.flac.ie

Thanks, again, thats the sort of thing im looking for

Does she have a contract of employment, and why can she not contact Stores Manager and complain, he has a stake in her, as this reflects badly on them , doing business with an organization like this.

She does have a contract. Has spoken to store manager a few times. He has been nice and once he has gone as far as contacting England to demand her rights, but as regards actual pay - he says it's not his problem - although he has expressed his shock at how little she earns...

BTW, if the company say she has been paid, has she got a payslip?

Asked English Manager about this on phone yesterday... told the company don't do Pay slips, gf told her it was a legal necessity in Ireland... manager responded by saying "oh, roight.... i'll look into that" (her most common response to everything)

Also - she needs to look for another job asap. This job isn't worth the hassle! Plenty of department stores have opportunities at the moment.

I've been telling her this for a while. You see she only wants to work for the summer and it's now very late to get a new job. Despite being very smart (500 point LC), very good looking and an excellent sales person (70%+ of sales per week)... she lacks confidence and fears job insecurity. She's terrified of having no job and no income.

A waitress whose colleagues ridiculed her ginger hair has been awarded almost £18,000 in compensation this week in England.

Told her this, but shes not one for thinking compensation is the answer to everything... she just wants an apology, to be treated right and to keep working... I don't think she'll pursue anything if they'd just do that much. Interesting story none-the-less.

She should tell her boss that she will call Joe Duffy (or someone like that) if they don't sort it out. There's nothing like the threat of bad publicity to get retailers thinking straight

As much as I'd love to shatter the firms reputation - my gf simply wants to be treated right and doe'snt want to get any attention... she'd be fairful that being associated with something like this would damage her career potential also... personally I'd love to complete shatter the firms rep... it's her choice... also at present as Brendan has pointed out to me I must be careful to avoid defamation - the claims I have made above are completely true - none the less I don't want to run afoul of defamation.

I would like to sincerley thank all of you for your feedback - it has been tremendously useful and serves to reassue my gf that there is hope. Thank you so much.

I've dealt with a gf who was in a concession that she didn't like, but wasn't strong enough to move... Try to encourage her to talk to the HR of the department store she's currently working in - if she explains that she's just not enjoying working in that concession I'm sure they'd very gladly take her on... It worked for my gf - she was moved from the concession to main-store...

Back