Help, my PC is too slow

L O L

I know I should probably be contacting some tech support guys about this, but they always leave me more confused than when I started.
Would any of you know how to speed up my PC. It's relatively new (about 3yrs old) and I don't have many programs on it as it is for home use, but it is unbelievably slow. It's not just the internet (I have only a dial up connection) but just the running time in general.
Any advice would be very welcome.

Run a Disk CleanUp first...

From XP go to...
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Free Up Space on Your Hard Drive

This will analyse what files are on your hard drive that can be removed - usually temporary files, and old unused programs.

Once you've cleaned up your hard drive, run a defragmentation...

From XP go to...
Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Rearrange Programs on Your Hard Drive to make programs run faster

This will do exactly what it says on the tin - make sure you run this overnight, or sometime when the computer will be out of use for a few hours. Also make sure you turn off your screensaver, as I've sometimes seen this interrupt the process, adding another few hours onto the time.

Back