Help- my house stinks

oakrise

I ve read through other threads in this regard and I dont know if the problem is similar, the bad odour is coming from downstairs toilet for the last 2 weeks or so but now its so unbearable. The water level in the toilet seems fine to me and there is nothing physical to suggest where the problem is coming from. I was so worried last night I couldnt sleep. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Somebody suggest that I should get a toilet plug hole unblocker but which one? please help.

What does it smell of?

Faeces, urine, damp, sewer gas?

This is a website which doesn't have smell-o-vision.

Work with us :)

I had a job recently where the customer complained of a terrible smell in the downstairs toilet. I checked everything, the outlet, the sewer outside and all things connected to the toilet and found nothing. Then I noticed the light in the toilet and found that the lamp holder was overheating and gave out a terrible stink from the bacelite bulb holder!

Get one of the sewage companies out.

They will have it sorted very quickly or will tell you how to sort it.

Don't lose another's night sleep over it.

Brendan

Its possible that the drain/toilet seal has failed and sewer gas is entering the house.
This is between the water trap and the sewer, at the connection of the fitting to the pipe.

As for not losing another night's sleep over this, your night's sleep is precisely what you should be worried about.

Until you get the smell investigated, make sure you ventilate the space properly to prevent a build up of sewer gas, which can be flammable/toxic.
Under no account allow the gas to circulate into the living spaces or the bedrooms, where it could cause respiration problems and lead to serious consequences.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Thanks guys, I thought it won't get this far but I guess I ll have to call someone in to get it checked out.

You may find that sewerage companies don't deal with internal problems in a house.
They may identify the problem but you may need to engage a contractor to fix any building or drainage defects,
Ask them to have a look at any F.A.I. (Fresh Air Inlet) serving your branch where the main sewer enters your site and make sure it isn't blocked

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi oakrise,
Just wondering if you solved the problem with the smell. As onq suggested I would hazard a guess that the problem might be the seal at the rear of the toilet bowl at the junction with the pipe.

Back