Help! I have a trojan.

Slash

My laptop is infectd with FakeAlert-B. McAfee says it cannot be deleted, cleaned, or quarantined. Laptop has slowed down to a crawl.

Please help.

Re: Help!! I have a trojan.

xosoft sez they can remove it free

[broken link removed]

I think I have deleted the trojan, but I now have a very annoying pop-up which has hijacked my home page on IE. The home page has changed to a page advertising Spy Heal and Pest Trap. In fact, I cannot get to the old home page at all. There is also a new Toolbar on the IE.

I have run Adaware, Spybot, Crap Cleaner, McAfee Virus Scan, and TweakNow reg Cleaner, and nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Hmm, obviously been to the clean pc post. Those hijacks are difficult to remove yourself.
After years of trying different removers Ive come to the conclusion that no one tool will get everything. Having said that, my own machine has been pretty much hijack/virus/malware free for at least the last 2 years by using AVG, running MS antispyware tool if worried, and only using mozilla firefox to browse, I now only use IE when required by a site.

Try MS remover to see if that works, and also try AVG (see clean pc post for links), it should be a little more heavy duty when it comes to removing malware as its a full antivirus package.

Thanks, CAR.

I downloaded and ran AVG, but no change.

The MS Tool only works if you have installed Win XP Service Pack 2, which I have not. I started to install SP2 some time ago, and my laptop froze half way through, so I aborted that.

Spywareblaster only prevents spyware, it does not delete existing spyware.

xosoft scanned the machine but required a payment of 39.95 to actually delete the spyware. There were some spelling errors on the xosoft website, so I was a bit suspicious and did not proceed.

Trend Micro ran the scan (it took over an hour) but was unable to delete the offending file.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestion, Bongo. I ran Stinger, but it made no difference.

If you're using Zone Alarm, you can bar the program from initialising on start up. By giving it a nil permission rating in the program control panel. Then the next time you start up, you should be able to manually delete it yourself.

I had exactly the same problem recently and it was the only way I could get rid of it.

Using a combination of Ewido and Smitfraudfix, I seem to have got rid of most of it. There is still a "Security Bar" just under the main toolbar on IE, which I cannot remove, which leads me to believe that it is not completely gone.

Slash,
I had troubles with browser hijacks and trojans sneaking in and stuff despite having a McAffee subscription. There is a webpage called www.spywareinfo.com and the guys get you to post a hijackthis log (the programme you need you can download there) and then they babysit you through the process of getting rid of whatever bastard has manifested itself on your machine. Takes a few days between posting back and forth, but they've worked wonders for me!

I downloaded a product called Spysweeper from spywareinfo.com, and that eliminated the adware security toolbar. Think I'm in the clear now. Fingers crossed.........

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Back