Help - bought with parents, now need to sell but in negative equity

BODN

Hi,

I was hoping someone could please help me.

Bought an apartment with my parents in 2006 (joint and severally liable). It's rented out. We pay the mortgage shortfall every month (me and my parents) and I am renting a house myself as I am now married and have 2 children (apartment wasn't suitable to live in with 2 children). My parents loaned me €65,000 a number of years ago to complete my studies etc. and pay a good few loans so my proposal is a way of metaphorically paying them back, helping me get a family home and helping my parents to get back on their feet. My parents are in financial trouble. I would like to sell the apartment and take the loan with me (the full loan of €90k), consolidate it into a negative equity trade-up loan with my husband and buy a house for ourselves. My parents are agreeable to this and the scenario, if it worked out, would be a great relief to me, my husband and my parents. My name and my parents' names are on the mortgage. My husband also owns an apartment (also bought before we met) and he will sell that soon and won't be in negative equity..so that's irrelevant really in all of this. He won't make any profit on it and overall it will have been loss-making for him but at least he will be rid of it.

My/my parents apt:
Paid for property in 2006: €420,000
Mortgage left on property: €375,000
Value of property: €285,000
Negative Equity: €90,000
I contribute €500 per month to apartment mortgage shortfall
My parents contribute €500 per month to apartment mortgage shortfall
Apartment mortgage has never gone into arrears.
My salary: €60,000
Husband salary: €110,000
Savings: €50,000 (€2k per month)
Current Rent: €900 per month
Childcare: €900 per month

We want to buy a house for €450,000 and bring the €90,000 with us after sale of apartment (we will still have a €90,000 loan after apartment is sold). We do not want to use our €50,000 savings to pay towards the €90,000 shortfall as we need this as a deposit. Bank of Ireland are doing a negative equity trade-up mortgage where as a second time buyer we will qualify for only 10% deposit, not 20% thankfully. Apartment mortgage is with AIB though.

My query is this: can I get my parents' names off the AIB mortgage, sell the apartment and take the full shortfall of €90k and bring it with me to a BOI loan that my husband and I can take out to buy a family home. Basically leaving my parents debt free and enabling us to purchase a family home. Having my parents contributing in some way to this €90k is off the table and not a factor in this.

Keeping the apartment and buying a family home is also not affordable for us. The apartment has to go. So effectively, I buy a family home with my husband for €450,000 but have a loan for €540,000 which includes the negative equity from the apartment. Is this possible?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just going over my old posts. Decided to update this incase anyone searched for a similar topic and came across this.
The answer to the above was 'no'. Bank would not allow this at all.
Reason being, the original mortgage was with me + my parents.
They wouldn't allow the shortfall to be carried by me + a third party (my husband). They wouldn't let him take other people's debt (the debt that was apportioned to my parents).
The only way we were able to get rid of the property in the end was to keep the shortfall (ended up being €60k) and have it as a loan over a term with me + parents paying it off (but me paying it off solo really as my parents wanted nothing to do with it). My parents are asset-rich so the bank allowed this. So, effectively, the property is now sold. Myself + parents have a loan of €60k that we must pay off. Husband has no part to play in this situation as bank wouldn't allow it.

Hi

The bank's attitude makes sense.

Borrowers often decide that they should not have to pay the bank any shortfall.

I would imagine that someone who was not responsible for the shortfall in the first place might feel particularly strong about this.

However, if you and your husband now approached the bank and asked to increase your mortgage by €60k, I don't see why they would object to it. They get better security on the loan.

However, if you are exceeding the Central Bank's limits, it might not be allowed.

Brendan

Back