Help - barking dogs!

Green

GF is working from home and is constantly interupted by neighbours barking dogs. Has anyone had any experiences and how did they resolve problem? Can you report this to the local authority, do they have powers if it is a noise nuisance?

Re: Help - Barking Dogs!!

Before going to local authority or whoever perhaps you should talk to the neighbours and explain to them that your gf is working from home and her work is being interrupted by the barking.

I am a dog owner myself and I know if I leave my dog out the back garden for long periods she is going to bark at anything that moves or passes, people walking by or cats etc.

I would definitely talk to the neighbours first. If they are out all day themselves they may not be aware that the dogs are barking. Its not the dogs fault.

Yep I agree. Have a chat and see what happens. If they don't realise they bark so much, they may very well take measures (humane!!) to quieten them. Especially at this time of year with bangers, etc. they may not be aware of the barking if they are out at work during the worst barking times. Things like Kongs, etc. are available as well as anti barking training so if they agree, they can improve it. If they don't, well thats another days work I guess!! Good luck with it:)

Hi there
I have had the same problem with barking dogs next door.
I bought a Dazer II and it does seem to help quite considerably in stopping them barking.
I do hope this helps
Try looking for one on Ebay as that is where I bought mine.
Thanks
Jools

In my experience I got no satisfaction going to my neighbour as I have the same problem (I work from home) but this dog also barks during the night and they even go away on holiday and leave him out all night and he barks if he sees he's own shadow. My neighbour only went and asked other neighbours were they bothered by him barking. They have children that play with my neighbours children so didn't want to fall out with them so they all said the dog didn't bother them. I am back to square one there is nowhere in this country that can deal with this in a simple way (like someone official calling and making a complaint - like what happened to a friend of mine that lives in Belfast). To the person who said put earplugs in their ears - why should we - we are entitled to live in our homes without this type of loutish behavour. If my teenagers were out in the garden roaring all night and day I'm sure people would come and complain to me - why should it be any different with a dog as someone else said it's not the dogs but the ignorant owners.

I am having the same problem with barking dogs all day while owners are away. They are living next door about 6 months and I know I would get no response if I called out as they have problems even saying hello if you were in the drive ways at the same time. It's fierce frustrating.

There's a Control of Dogs Act, 1986 - I don't know anything about it really, but just did a google search. Try this link and see if it helps:

[broken link removed]

There's a specific section on dog barking if you scroll down.

The Legal Route to solving dog owner problems.

You can take them to District Court and the dog will be taken off them if the judge finds in your favour. Best to call your local auth. and the court for details. We took our neighbour to court re this last year and they are on warning that the dog will be taken off them and put down if they didn't sort it out. We took a lot of footage of the dog howling etc and showed it in court.

We only took this route because after we asked our neighbour repeatedly that her dog's incessant barking was bothering us that she said it was her dog and her garden and basically told us where to go. She was dealing with the wrong people with that sort of attitude!

Our course of action has worked out fine and we would not hesitate to escalate the legal route if it started again. However our neighbour has practically waged war on us and she sometimes sings loudly in 'her garden' (!!) to get back at us but it's like water off a ducks back to me. She's just unhappy that she was told what to do by the court and her nose is out of joint.

The only way to deal with these inconsiderate dog owners is the legal route and gather your evidence to do this.

I have two dogs who were barking during the day & driving one of my neighbours mad. I was totally unaware of it as it only started when another neighbour got a dog & they spent the day barking at each other. It took my neighbour a few weeks to approach me about it - at which stage she was driven half demented listening to them. Thankfully she did tell me, and they are now kept indoors when there is no one home so there's no more annoying barking going on.

Of course there's a chance that your neighbour will react like Fintans' but they might like me be totally unaware of the situation & rectify it as soon as it's brought to their attention.

I would have been very upset if my neighbour had reported me to the local authority or anyone else without first talking to me.:(

I wish you were my neighbour - I'm afraid we rang the neighbour at 3 oclock in morning and asked them politely to stop the dog barking and just got phone put down on us - dog still barking.

Back