Helicopter Pilot training/career

GregnGra

Hi, I'm considering a change of career and was looking at the possibility of training as a helicopter pilot. While I have had a look at a number of sites offering training, I'd like to hear from anyone who has become a pilot in the last couple of years. Particularily I'd like to know can the training (and therefore the cost) be spread out over an extended period or does it follow a set timescale? Also what sort of salaries are available? I'd be looking at training up to commercial level. Thanks.

Looked into it myself last year, Got a qoute for between €20,000 to €25,000 just to obtain private license. I think it could cost another €40 - €50k to get a commercial one.

If may be worth looking at doing it abroad, you can get intensive courses and they would be much cheaper then here. A mate of mine is an airline pilot and he did all his training outside of Ireland due to cost.

Another thing to remember when you budget for training is time off work and if you need a minimum of 45(or whatever) hours air time, this doesn't mean you will be ready for your test.
Best of luck .

Check out www.pprune.com for plenty of info on training etc.
Also worth doing the medical first to ensure your health is suiteable beofre paying any money for training.
It can be a stressful job, pilots may be afraid to tell the boss the weather or light condition are unsuiteable etc, that is what I have heard.
maybe info on www.iaa.ie on training schools etc.
best of luck with it.

From reading Prune a while ago seems like lots of competition and wages aren't that great. Best money seemed to be on the rigs, but a lot of ex military pilots seemed to have the pick of the jobs. Maybe its changed recently.

From reading Prune a while ago seems like lots of competition and wages aren't that great. Best money seemed to be on the rigs, but a lot of ex military pilots seemed to have the pick of the jobs. Maybe its changed recently.

Thats what I heard, The top jobs are in the north sea, danger money probably. And the amount of flying hours you need just to be able to have an interview is very high indeed/

Back