hedging

Boxette

I want tp put down new hedging to act as a privacy hedge between me and neighbour. What is best hedge to grow quickly and stay dense and thick and not leggy at bottom. I intend buying well established hedging as its not too big an area and should not cost too much

How high do you need it ?

How about escallonia ?

Plant 2 feet apart...about 2.50 per plant at the moment. Best thing is to call into your local garden center and explain what you require and see what they suggest.

-pm

Griselinia is a decent evergreen hedge and is fairly easy to manage in my experience.

I was quoted €1.80 recently for two litre pots of escallonia 30 to 50cm high. Cork region

If you want a bomb-proof hedge that grows fast and thick, I'd go for griselinia. Buy the plants bare-rooted (cheaper) from a nursery. Ring around for a quote.

Escalonia is a lovely hedge but it's not quite as reliable or fast growing and it tends to become sparse at the bottom end as it gets taller.

We have long hedges of both and grew cuttings to extend them. You probably can't go wrong with either really. Friends have a pretty golden lonicera hedge but it took a few years to get to a decent height.

thanks for all the advice. I like Escallonia but was told it may get leggy at bottom. I will investigate the Grisilenea and I suppose the price will determine the size when buying. I imagine I may have to pay bit more for a more mature shrub.

check your planning restrictions about planting grisilinias, we were specifically told these were banned.

Back