Hedge for garden privacy

QED

The end wall of my back garden (in a new town estate) is about 20 ft long and currently has a 6 ft high wall.

The wall is nice and big and does give some privacy, but the entrance road into the estate faces this end of my garden and there is a slight hill down from the main road. This means that when in my garden, I can see all cars entering and they can see my garden despite this 6 ft wall.

There are no neighbours on this side of the garden - there is a small green area the other side of the wall.

I want to make my garden more private but there are a number of problems:

- I don't want to make the wall any higher as it would look like a prison.
- The garden isn't very big so I don't want lots of space taken up by bulky hedges/trees taking up room.
- I don't mind taking time to maintain a suitable hedge but I hear that Leylandi are very difficult to control.
- The soil is not very deep. There is a fairly solid layer of rock about 2 feet below the surface.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Any hedge is going to struggle if there's a solid layer of rock only 2ft down. You might need to build some kind of a raised bed at the foot of the wall. This will give you a greater depth of soil for your hedge but will also raise the height of the hedge automatically.

A decent instant fix solution would be to install a decorative trellis on top of the wall - this would give some privacy while avoiding the starkness of adding further courses of bricks to the wall. You could then grow some fast-growing climbers through the trellis while waiting for your hedge to establish.

Good idea about building a raised bed. I hadn't thought of that - I'm very new to this gardening thing!

This may not be suitable, I've never grown them myself, but maybe bamboo?

I've see the shrub known as Red Robin used as a hedge by a wall with the lower branches trimmed and the tops bushy. It's a nice shrub with red leaves. Check with garden centre.

Griselinia are a hedge that you can keep to a small size, they don't grow crazily quick like Leylandi and are a nice bright green with waxy leaves. We have them in our garden and they don't take a lot of work. You can keep them quite narrow too so that they don't take over the garden.

Bamboo is great but doesnt it take donkeys years to grow to any acceptable height ?

Actually I understood it grows quickly, but I may be wrong. The reason I thought to suggest it is that I saw some in B&Q at the weekend, it was in pots and it was about 5ft high, which would seem like a good starting height if you wanted to grow it as a privacy screen.

I definitely agree with you about leylandi.

There is no need to limit yourself to one type of plant along the wall - you could plant a variety of evergreens for interest and just keep them pruned back to the depth you want.

You could also consider planting some thorny shrubs there as a burglar deterrent - e.g. pyrcantha (sp?).

Not sure about bamboo, my brother has some in his garden and while the first 4/5 feet are quite thick, it's very spindly higher up.

Back