Heating Stats

rebellad

I am at the stage where I am chasing the walls in my house for the electrics. I gave the electrician the booklet I got from my heating crowd (UFH up and down). He has pointed out to me that there is only 5 stats in the whole house. 4 in the bedrooms upstairs and 1 in the hall downstairs, i thought this was abit low so I rang the heating crowd and they basically told me that after research and testing that they found keeping the whole house at a constant temperature was more economical than having some rooms turned off as the heat will always go to the coldest point. Has anyone heard of this before, I thought it would be more economical to shut off rooms that aren't being used??

Is this for radiators or underfloor heating ?? or electric underfloor heating even ?

only 5 stats in the whole house. 4 in the bedrooms upstairs and 1 in the hall downstairs, i thought this was abit low so I rang the heating crowd and they basically told me that after research and testing that they found keeping the whole house at a constant temperature was more economical than having some rooms turned off as the heat will always go to the coldest point. Has anyone heard of this before, I thought it would be more economical to shut off rooms that aren't being used??

I have UFH as well and the suppliers gave me the same advice. To be honest, it doesn't make sense to me though. Surely it takes energy to heat a room, so the less rooms you heat, the less energy you need? If you keep the doors to the 'cold' rooms closed and fit them with a draught excluder (good ones on sale in Dunnes at the moment for €7.99 each - they slide under the door and open and close with the door), the warm air will stay in the 'warm' rooms.

I'd be very interested to hear more about the research your heating guys mentioned to you. What they are saying contradicts the whole concept of zoned heating.

To be honest thats what I was thinking myself. The way I look at it is that there is only going to be myself and the missus in the house for the next while so why should we bother heating the whole house when we will probably use only 3-4 rooms. I have gone back to them and told them that I want them in all rooms

Back