Heat Recovery vents

Abbica

Hi, Just looking for an opinion on installing this system in the house, air tight heating and ventilation system. I went down to our house at the weekend and what greated me was miles of ductwork (in all different sizes) that even krypton factor wouldn't have a look at!! It basically is a giant puzzle which we have to put together with all the heat recovery units interlinked to these, and then after that make the house airtight by covering everywhere in plastic. I think our heating engineer ballet danced around the amount of work involved. Our plasterer had to be delayed again which didn't go down to well. Did anyone else get a shock when they received delivery of this heating system. Is it more daunting an idea than the actual amount of work involved?? A few days off work I think!!

Where di you buy the system? Did you pay for materials only i.e. not installation?

Hi Tulach, yes, we paid for the materials only, not installation as our engineer told us it wasn't too much work!!

umm yea I was talking to a supplier of one of these systems and he reckoned if you haven't installed systems before that it would take you a long time and would be difficult to get it working 100% first time

just looking at doing the same thing... would love to hear other experiences...i recon that the suppliers will of course be saying that they should install. did u get a diagram or scheme drawing? what company and price, size of house?

Yes, we used Kingspan Century heating engineers and for our full water/heating system exc oil condensing boiler, we paid €19,500 exc VAT for a 3100sq.m dormer.
You got a full diagram showing the lay out, which is detailed in colour for different ducting. The engineer comes out and shows you how to do it, then you lay it all out but don't screw anything together, they come out again, check that it is correct, you then screw all the ductwork together, attached to all the HRV's, Air handling units, temperature controls, etc, luckily I am married to an electrician, the plumber plumbed our solar panels ready for connection to our water. Engineer comes back to check it again for approval and you then attach the plastic sheeting to the walls, ceiling etc to make it air tight. You lay plastic on the floor were needed before the ducting. Then you are given a test for energy rating, he said it is out of 10 down, most people never really achieve better than the 3 mark which is excellent. and then the plasterer comes along, eh voila. 100,000 calories down, 500 strands of hair gone, calluses on your knee's the size of footballs and relief that it is done. Your on the last leg of the journey. We are only starting ours now but that is the proceedure. Anybody that is willing to help you can do this as it is at the end of the day a giant puzzle. My brother in law, who is 17 is helping us, a whizz with diagrams.

Back