Health Insurance Hearing aid costs

laois1

An elderly friend is in need of a hearing aid. A quotation of 4 k was obtained from a local optician. Is there a cheaper alternative ? Can these be sourced through the public ENT department service ?

An elderly friend is in need of a hearing aid. A quotation of 4 k was obtained from a local optician. Is there a cheaper alternative ? Can these be sourced through the public ENT department service ?

That seems to be about the going rate. If you have paid social welfare contributions during your lifetime
you should be entitled to a grant of between €1000 and a bit more. The hearing aid company will inform
you of the details.
When you are fitted make sure to follow up with consultations until you are happy with the h.a.
It can take a little time to get them adjusted properly. Good luck Browtal

Thanks. I thought it sounded an extortionate price ! I will certainly suggest spec savers.

I was quoted €3600 for a pair. Grant details as follows:

In the case of one hearing aid being required the grant is 50% of the purchase price of a hearing aid up to a maximum of €500, or 50% of the repair cost of a hearing aid. If two hearing aids are required the maximum grant is 50% of the cost up to a maximum of €1000.

The grant for the purchase of hearing aids will be available once every 4 years.
[broken link removed]

Make sure your relative goes to a qualified audiologist be they Specsavers or elsewhere. Correctly set hearing aids are very important ... not to mention the cost!

Back