health screening

Paddylast

Hi
Has anyone had health screening done at either Mater Private or Blackrock. Prices are very similar. Mater -€510 and Blackrock €560. both look very similar so not sure why one is €50 more expensive than the other. Any recommendations?

I have booked the Mater Private screening through a scheme offered by the company I work for. I chose an appointment for May. The advantage is that you can have a lot of tests done in just half a day. Not sure why the screening at Blackrock costs more, perhaps you can ask for a list of the tests that are carried out and compare.

Check your health plan to see if you can claim any of the cost back of the health screen.

Patrick

Can also reclaim an unreimbursed element from your medial insurance cover on Med1 at end of year.

To be honest these screening things are a total rip off. €500 is a total joke. A GP will do all this for you for about €100 (many will do it for a standard consultation fee). Make sure you contact your doctor first to make a double appointment. If a problem is discovered you may have to make a second appointment with your GP so bringing the cost up to €150-€170. Nowhere near the €500+ the private hospitals cost. The big difference is because all people in Ireland are entitled to free pathology services. So a GP will charge you for actually taking the blood and sending it to hospital but the analysis of the blood samples is free when done in a public hospital. Private hospitals however will charge you theextra few hundred to analyse the samples.

Private Health Screening is purely for people with more money than sense.

I should add if you are under 40, do you really need screening with anyone? Certainly tests like cholesterol, ECG, PSA, Chest x-ray are a waste of time unless you have symptoms or a particularly strong family history.

Back