VHI health insurance renewal query?

Tebbit

My health insurance is due for renewal soon and I'd like some advice please.
At present I'm with teachers plan with VHI and no excess. It's important to me not to have to pay anything on admission to hospital as I tend to have a few admissions. I 'd like to be covered for all public hospitals and Bons hospitals. I don't care really what kind of accommodation I get.
I think I get good hospital cover on this plan but would like if it were possible more day to day cover for tests etc. that you might be sent for although this might be out of my budget. I'd prefer not to pay too much more than I'm paying already. I've always been with VHI and think I'd prefer to stay with them but am open to suggestions.
Hoping Snowyb can give some help here and some plans I might look at.
Thanks

Tebbit,

VHI have a new plan called VHI PMI 07 10, priced at 1188pa; which will suit your situation as an alternative option.
There is a capped admission excess of 150 per year, regardless of the amount of private hospital admissions that you might have in a year.
There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; Price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 1 max per year for all private
hospital admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund on gp visits, consultants etc.

[broken link removed]

A second option with VHI with no excess for admissions or day case in private hospitals is as follows, similar price to Teachers Plan but very
good day to day cover.

2. Company Plan Extra Level 1; price 1548pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, No excess to pay in any private or hi-tech
hospital. Good day cover included 75% refund for gp visits, consultant visits, etc.

[broken link removed]

I would strongly recommend Option 1; VHI PMI 07 10 but both plans are very good value.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks a million, I'll look into those. If I go with option 1 and go for paying the 150 excess does this mean in the future you couldn't go back to no excess without a waiting period?

Tebbit,

If you went back to a no excess plan in the future, strictly speaking there would be a waiting of 2 years, only for the excess amount in relation to any pre-existing illness. Any new illness would have no excess straight away.
All surgery would be covered regardless of whether it is pre-existing or not. The waiting would only relate to the 'excess' amount.

The most you would pay would still be 150 per year.

Regards, Snowyb

Back