Health Insurance Health Insurance help on a budget

Susiepops

Hi, new to this forum and hoping for some guidance. Our health insurance is up for renewal. We are family of 4 (2 kids). My husband believes we should just get rid of the cover. Money is tight and finding it hard. I am afraid to lose our cover.
Due to I having an existing illness we have medical card. We have health insurance for hospital cover, waiting lists, MRI etc..

Day to day cover isn't very important to us. Essentially looking for semi private cover in private hospital. MRI, CT etc... cover as well. How do I get this without breaking the bank? I am overwhelmed with all that is being offered. We are currently on Net More 500 with Irish Life so looking for cheaper. I believe we have to downgrade. My husband is willing to give his cover up if necessary. Hoping someone can help.

Health insurance policies can be a minefield - almost too many options. For what it's worth as an ex-health professional and recent user of private services, I'd hate to lose our health insurance. But consider, do the children really need it too? And you and your husband could have two different policies, a very basic one for him, just to stay on the ladder (which is a significant consideration these days). Certainly it sounds like you should keep your own if you possibly can.

A few thoughts: The HIA website compares all the policies - I think that could be a good starting point for you. I've changed our own policies a few times and always found Laya to give very helpful advice on the phone. Have you tried talking to Irish Life to ask about a cheaper policy? Your post pretty much states what kind of cover you want but I think your first job is to decide exactly who you want to cover. Lots of thought and research, so good luck!

PS. I found out by chance - not from Laya - that our joint policy had a much higher excess than having separate policies costing the same. So now we have two. It's worth checking that.

Last edited:
Hi Susiepops,,

Welcome to AAM. The following VHI options are worth considering, at a cheaper price, without losing cover.

Adult Option:
VHI One Plan 500; price 731pa; all public and private hospitals covered + Beacon hospital, private excess 500 x 2 max for all admissions
per year, day case excess 150 per procedure.

Child Option;
VHI One Plan Family; price 148 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private excess 125 per admission or per day
case procedure.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back