Health Insurance Health Insurance 2ad&2ch

di74

We've been with VHI for 15+ years and are currently on One Plan renewal cost €2355. Apart from two maternity claims and a minor procedure for one child a few years back we luckily never need to avail of our health insurance.
I'm looking at Laya flex 500 explore which has a greater excess €500 per claim v €125 with vhi, total cost for family €1680.
Any other plans family with young kids find good value ?
Thanks
Di

Hi di74,

Flex 500 Explore is a very good plan, which covers all 3 levels of hospital cover, public, private and hi-tech. It is the cheapest plan available
covering 3 levels of hospital cover. There is a further 10% discount on this plan if you buy online at the moment. Price including discount 595 per adult.

I would recommend leaving the 2 children with VHI, and put them on VHI One + Plan, half price at the moment 131 per child. VHI allow children on a plan on their own, an adult is named on the policy but only the children are insured.

So, the overall family price will be 595 x 2 + 131 x 2 = 1452.

Alternative Laya plans for adults as follows; same hospital cover, lower excesses.
1. Flex 250 Explore; same as Flex 500 Explore, lower excess 250. Price 759 including 10% discount.
2. Flex 175 Explore; same as Flex 500 Explore, lower excess 175, price 953 ( 10% discount does not apply to this plan) a price freeze for 2 years applies to this plan until 2018.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Many thanks for the advice Snowy, you've given me excellent advice before in relation to health insurance. Time to leave the vhi which I've been with forever and get better value elsewhere. The savings on the adult policy would cover any excess should we have a hospital stay

Back