having trouble getting a refund from a faulty mobile phone?

J

john32

Anybody having trouble getting a refund from a faulty mobile phone?

My phone have broke down twice with the same fault but the store says i have to have three repairs carried out before they will give me a refund!

John

Re: Cant Get Refund!

They are correct, how old is the phone?
If it's fairly new it generally be replaced

This is what the National Consumer's Agency has to say on something very similar to this (emphasis added by me):

What are my rights in respect of faulty goods?

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 gives legal rights to consumers in their dealings with retailers and service suppliers. The Act empowers consumers to take action for themselves. Most issues under the Act are civil legal matters to be dealt with between the parties to the contract.

Under the Act, goods should be:
  • Of merchantable quality - the goods are of an acceptable standard
  • As described - false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
  • Fit for intended purpose - be fit for the purpose they were bought for
  • Correspond to the sample
Where goods do not conform to the above criteria, you are entitled under the Act to seek a repair, replacement or a refund.

The legislation does not specify whether it is the retailer/supplier or the customer who chooses the form of redress to be offered.

However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.

You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

From here - ttp://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/.

I think expecting the customer to wait for the the phone to be reparied three times is a bit much. If it's the same fault after the first repair or replacement, then I'd demand my money back.

See my thread on mobile phone refund.
I wonder is it the same problem, only half a screen displaying?
What store is it? Their policy could be no refund.

Back