Having a baby :)

1. Public means a 5-hour wait (work colleague, just last week) for your one-and-only scan in the public healthcare system

Not the case for the coombe, i had a scan at 10 weeks (dating scan) and at 21 weeks (anomoly scan).

Also i did combined care in the tallaght clinic which meant i saw my gp and midwife for alternate appointments. For my midwife apts i was never waiting more than 10 minutes.
I only attended the coombe twice before having the baby (only for scans).
Personally i found the public care fantastic.
And congratulations OP!

We had one scan, at maybe 18-22 weeks, can't remember, waiting maybe 20 mins??

But we booked a scan in a "private " hosp earlier, cost = 150.

The difference between public and private is like this

1. Public means a 5-hour wait (work colleague, just last week) for your one-and-only scan in the public healthcare system

2. Private means no waiting around and a scan every visit to your consultant, if you want it

This has not been my experience so far going public in the Coombe. I had a dating scan at 13 weeks and a full scan at 21. I waited around 20 minutes to register on my first appointment at 13 weeks, but have been seen on time at all subsequent appointments. Still more time for me to have another experience however. Also if there are medical reasons for other scans you will be offered them.

I agree on the Coombe. I went public, first appointment at 12 weeks. Always opted for earlier appointment times and the maximum amount of time I waited was just over an hour. I saw the consultant 4 of the 5 visits (just coincidentally). I got 4 scans throughout (incl private one).
I thought combined care was great. I booked a private scan at 20 weeks in Blackrock as I dont think they did the anomoly scan in the public system.
So the cost of pregnancy care was €150 for the private scan and I had an excellent experience.

I'll actually be going to CUMH here in Cork, and got my first scan appointment for the end of May. I'll be just hitting 14 weeks at the time. A little impatient to see that everythings ok, so we've booked a private scan for this Friday when I'll be 9 weeks along :)

I had a CT scan a number of weeks ago, and at the time a pregnancy test was negative however I was in fact expecting (it was v. early on). I'm a little worried it might have done some harm so for peace of mind we'll get the early scan.

I'm happy to go public for the care, as from what I'm hearing from family and from healthcare providers, the only real difference is the chance of a private room, and priority for scans, etc. As in, I would not be waiting 14 weeks. When you think about it, paying 99 euros for a private scan is far better than a bill of a few thousand at the end of Private care!

Back