Have you heard of jumbletown.ie?

MLE

I recently discovered a website called Jumbletown.ie It's a free website where members give/take items they no longer need, free of charge. It is very well run and sponsored by some local authorities, obviously in a view to encourage more re-cycling or rather, life-cycling. I would recommend having a look. It's a great way to dispose of unwanted items and cheaper than hiring a skip. Some very unusual and interesting items on there too. I managed to find an absolutely beautiful piano, which my children are thrilled with. I could not have afforded to buy one at the moment and my daughter, who had just started lessons, was making do with a keyboard donated by a friend.

Yes - the site has been mentioned here before. As have other similar free stuff and for sale sites such as :

www.adverts.ie
[broken link removed]

etc.

Yes - the site has been mentioned here before. As have other similar free stuff and for sale sites such as :

www.adverts.ie
[broken link removed]

etc.

Yes, I have had a look at those ones but found Jumbletown a lot easier to negotiate. I've also met some very nice people since I joined. The quality of furniture that people give away is astounding. I only wish I was starting off to furnish my house, could have saved myself a fortune!

I checked it out and there is some free stuff to be had... very interesting. I still think though, that Jumbletown.ie is ahead of the posse.....

Totally agree jumbletown is a great site, alas not too many from the south west know about it.

Totally agree jumbletown is a great site, alas not too many from the south west know about it.

It would be easy enough to promote it in your area. You can download posters from the site and put them up wherever you think they will be seen. Even one on your workplace canteen noticeboard or local supermarket noticeboard would help.

As a matter of fact I first heard about jumbletown on this site. Since then I've given away a few things on the site and have met some very nice people in doing so. Some people just want to be involved in recycling and some people also are in genuine need; I mainly gave away baby stuff that mine have grown out of and was delighted to see it going to good use.

what always fascinates me about jumbletown is the number of pianos that turn up on the site. It indicates to me the quality of goods that people sometimes need to part with but don't necessarily need to sell. I always keep an eye out for what's available on it, though have not ventured to give anything yet give me time!

May I just plug Oxfam Home - in Francis Street, Dublin 8 - which has some amazingly good value finds - and gladly accepts any saleable goods - and all proceeds go, of course, to Oxfam. It's like Junbletown/Freecycle/FreeTrade, but with a charity contribution built-in.

Like a previous poster , I find the quality of stuff that is given away on Jumbletown great at times and it reminds me of when I heard of Irish people in the eighties furnishing their apartments in NY from stuff left on the pavement for disposal. So present economic crisis or not we certainly have got wealthy. I used it to give away a load of furniture to someone that appeared to be in a lot of need. I didn't have the hassle of selling it, no guilt because I wasn't dumping it(being of a frugal generation) and great pleasure in seeing someone else delighted to get it.

Jumbletown is brilliant alright. Was helping my parents get rid of an old tv and an old tv stand. Put the details on the website and my phone didn't stop ringing for two days.! It was gone within 24 hours!

Fair play for giving the heads up on this site. There is all types of stuff, even cars! I have a computer desk which I want to give away, so will put up a photo and hopefully get rid of.

Thanks.

Yes, jumbletown is a great site and because is it has strict 'Free to collect' no trades/no sales policy it doesn't get swamped with unwanted ads, making it easy to negotiate.

As for the pianos, if you think they come up frequently, the supply on jumbletown just doesn't come anywhere near the demand, my sister had loads of replies in just a few minutes when she put hers up on jumbletown.

Have used is successfully a number of times.

There is also a "Wanted" section on Jumbletown, where you can advertise for stuff you need. I've responded to a couple of wanted ads, to give away items. There is a mentality out there though, that unless you pay a substantial price for an item, it's not worth having! We have become a consumer society and as previous poster said, people furnished their apartments in NY some years ago with items found on the sidewalk. It would have been unheard of at that time in Ireland, for anyone to dump something that had any "life" left in it.
If you visit Jumbletown.ie, check out the Support Forum section. There is a thread about "Repurposing". A lady called Unapam has posted "before" and "after" pictures of items she repurposed and the results are amazing.

Thanks again for the heads up on this site, I had a computer desk brand new, it was Atlantic Homecare flatpack and I would not have been able to take it apart, so put it up today about one, was collected from the house at half past five.

Great site, will use again.

Back