have you changed from oil ch to calorgas

gailey

Have you changed from oil central heating to calorgas?
If so
How much did it cost to convert?
Were you happy you changed?
Is your house warmer?
How expensive are you bills per year?
How did you find customer services?
I would love to get some feedback on this. We are trying to decide whether to change.
We are finding the oil very expensive and not keeping the house warm. House is already well insulated. House is a 5 bed dormer detached about 2000sq ft.

We changed from Calor to Flogas where the gas was cheaper and moreover a better company to deal with. No matter who you go with do NOT sign a contract where it could take you five years if you wished to change supplier.

hi Mercman
What would your heating costs be per year. Did you originally change over from oil. I paid last winter 2000 euro between sept and now and we are out of oil again. We are also lighting an open fire most days and still the house isnt always warm. We are looking at different options at the moment and I would like to know as much as possible before we commit

The house was on Calor when we purchased same. Unable to compare as this is not a normal house. However we are in the midst of changing boilers to more efficient ones which are meant to be 35% cheaper to run.

Hi,

I would also like to know as am also thinking of switching over from oil to LPG. Calor are doing a big promotion at the moment and offering incentives but like OP would like more information before I jump.

TIA

angela59

From the dealings I had with Calor, they will refuse to supply LPG unless and until a supply contract is signed. I found that their pricing was off the wall so do not become sucked in by promotions and then find the supply price is to high.

Just on that the price per liter of LPG at the moment inclusive of VAT and carbon tax with CALOR is 0.70 cents and I checked with Flogas and it is 0.8495 inclusive of carbon tax but not vat. Unlike oil, LPG seems to be hard to get prices per liter when I google it - are there only two players in Ireland?

Angela59

hi Mercman
What would your heating costs be per year. Did you originally change over from oil. I paid last winter 2000 euro between sept and now and we are out of oil again. We are also lighting an open fire most days and still the house isnt always warm. We are looking at different options at the moment and I would like to know as much as possible before we commit

Exactly the same as my home and I am shocked that we are going to order more oil, lighting the fire too for cosiness. We have decided to install a stove instead of the fireplace so that there will be more efficiency, apparently we have zoned heating but we have never been able to use it so going to get thermostats fitted etc so that we can at least isolate the upstairs heating from the downstairs(upstairs heating is not necessary to be on as much as the downstairs in most homes)
Also we have someone calling next week from an insulation company to discuss having the walls pumped with insulation, the oil is just such a waste of money now that I want to try to halve the amount we need to order..

Properly zoned heat should work WITH thermostats for boiler interlock, if not any saving would be minimal

All calculations point to off-mains gas being MORE expensive than oil, if you looking to save money on heating start with insulation, less heat loss, less heating required

I also have someone coming out to talk about insulation so we will probably be getting walls pumped and attic insulated. will also like to see what the promotion with calorgas is llike. seems like its hard to find someone who has changed over. please anyone???
Looking into all options at the moment including the stove.

I have had two quotes from registered installers and they were exhorbitant to say the least even with the grant deducted it would be a while paying back if I went with one of them. So we will insulate the attic ourselves and I'm looking in to switching to LPG and installing new burner. My understanding is that LPG isn't as expensive as the oil but rises when oil prices rise but the carbon tax is half the price that for oil. Again I would love to hear from anyone that has switched.

Angela59

I am thinking of changing too? I have a kerosene condense boiler 94% eff.
but i am getting extensive works done inc ufh throughout the house, nat gas is not available to me so i looked into lpg, but the kw output of nat gas is 66% less than lpg gas per m3, (bord gais sell by the kwh) but anyone know what the calorific value of kerosene is per litre by comparason of lpg per litre?
If so a could link would help me LOADS.
Thanks Guys!!!!!

approx 35.000 kj/kg for kero

Using cv's is works out in cost terms cheapest to dearest
Nat Gas
Kero
LPG

Fuel prices tend to follow each other, when oil goes up, so do a gas fuels a quick as they can follow IMHO

1 Litre of Kerosene = 10.35 kWh
1 Litre of Kerosene = 0.79kg
1 kg of Kerosene = 13.10 kW/kg

DGOBS is absolutely correct, Nat Gas is cheapest, then Kerosene and then LPG. Gas will always follow oil prices.

If I was considering a changeover, I would most likely stay with an oil boiler, but look at an air/water heatpump as a main heating source, backup when needed by the oil boiler

Stay away from heat pumps... they can be soul destroying. Trust me. they can quadruple your electrticity demands, difficult to source parts. stick to the simple principles,

Just on that the price per liter of LPG at the moment inclusive of VAT and carbon tax with CALOR is 0.70 cents and I checked with Flogas and it is 0.8495 inclusive of carbon tax but not vat. Unlike oil, LPG seems to be hard to get prices per liter when I google it - are there only two players in Ireland?

Angela59

I also have someone coming out to talk about insulation so we will probably be getting walls pumped and attic insulated. will also like to see what the promotion with calorgas is llike. seems like its hard to find someone who has changed over. please anyone???
Looking into all options at the moment including the stove.

In your original message, you stated that the house was well insulated and now you say that you are considering getting insulation installed.

A changeover of your heating system will cost thousands. You would want to be very sure that a gas system is a lot better than your current system before commiting. Even if you save 20% on your annual bills, it will take years to recoup the cost of the installation.

How old is your house ?
How old is your oil boiler ?
What insulation do you have ?
What sort of windows do you have ?

Back