Have to change water tank in attic, help!

cibby

Hi folks,
I got a guy to put in an attic ladder today- he took one look at the tank and said "change that immediately!" As if to confirm, I met a neighbour after he left--to whom I relayed this- ( we are new here) She said - "ours burst with incredible damage last year, get it done pronto!"
I have read the posts on this subject on this site, but all are dated 2005. Anybody got any idea of cost now, June 08?? who do I get to do it?- is it in anyway possible to do it oneself?
I read in the other posts that I could buy all I need myself- its a 30 year old 3bed semi and the new tank - plastic?--must fit thru the attic trapdoor, which now has a lovely new ladder.... though no floor as yet. Ideas please.

If you have a new attic-entrance and stairs installed, the option of getting a new standard-sized tank into your attic is probably nil (unless you do major surgery).

What you might consider are two so-called, because of their shape, plastic "coffin-tanks" which together have the same capacity as your old (zinc ?) one.

You will need a plumber to get pricing and be prepared to leave the old tank in the attic, unless you can cut it up. And don't forget to ask your plumber to include your tank lagging and lids.

firstly, don't panic. A plumber does it. Unless you have good DIY skills and are confident with water, I would let a pro do it. fitting the new tank connecters involve drilling tank and can be tricky to tighten.
You will have to get a coffin tank and as the name suggests they are long and narrow to fit in the attic access. You will get a new ballcock and new tank connectors.
To fit the tank it will take from a half day to a full day (if the plumber finishs at 3pm you will more than likely get charged for a day) depending on how much adjustment to pipework is needed.
Tank approx €105
Connectors €4 each depending on how many you need
Ballcock €5
Other bits like pipes depends on what needs to be done.
I don't know how much plumbers charge in county Dublin but in Munster for materials, full day and vat would be no more than €440

Saying that a good experianced plumber should have it done in about 4 hours which would bring the price down.
If you can't get a recommendation, shop around and ask different plumbers how much they would charge and compare,
Good luck.

I wouldn't go about doing the job yourself, although it is possible, there is the always the possibility of leaks etc thus it is better to have someone to porportion blame to.

Cold water storage tanks come in many different sizes, measure the size of your trap door and take the dimensions to your local plumbing supplier who will tell you what tanks to go for. You should be able to get one/two to fit thorough your existing trap door without any problems. It's not that big of a job changing over the tanks but I would get a plumber in.

I had to replace my old water tank last year. The plumber just removed the architrave around the attic door and the new tank went in perfectly. It's not a job I would have tackled myself, as it took about four hours and alot of plumbing tools (and knowledge). My old tank is still up there as it was too big to remove and cutting it up with a saw would have produced sparks (not something you want in an attic). I can't remember how much it cost but it didn't break the bank - a simple choice when the other would have been a major flood!

My mother recently paid €700 to get her (OFCH and immersion heated) hot press water cylinder, immersion and attic water tank replaced. Dublin.

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. I looked it all up on google, and learned a great deal - EG: I had no idea water tanks come in so many shapes and sizes. There was even a full detailed page with drawings on exactly HOW to do it!!
I rang 3 attic-tank-replacement companies and got prices from e350-500. To the e500 one I said "thats a bit pricey!"--"hang on", said he, and a few mins later came back and said "well it could be e390, if its straighforward". I then phoned a plumbing suppliers shop and got incredible helpful tips and advice from a guy called Kevin, ended up driving there yesterday, buying everything I might possibly need for e111. And got names of 3 plumbers from him, whom I can ring and ask them to do a nixer. I phoned one who will ring me back this coming week. So far so good. So thank you all. Sincerely hope it wont cost me e700, like one poster's mum!

I changed my water tank recently because my old one wasn't big enough. I had an insurance assessor with me in November and he recommened that I get a coffin tank, from an insurance point of view. I got 2 60 litre coffin tanks and the plumber had to build a timber platform for them to sit on. It cost a total of €450. As you won't be getting 2 tanks, there'll be less time and labour, as well as the cost of the tank, so it should cost a lot less.

I'd do it myself. Turn off mains, remove tank and replace, then tighten all nuts again. That's as complicated it really is. Once you've tighten all joints you're sound. A had to plumb a new kitchen some years back because I was broke, I was terrified. It worked out great.

"change that immediately!"

Agree with this if its an old tank - they can corrode from the inside and the bottom suddenly falls out. A couple people in my housing estate who didnt change to plastic tanks in recent years were victims of this - very costly having your house flooded.

Back