Health Insurance Have private insurance but no maternity cover, any way around it?

Wexford1982

Hi all.. I'm on my second pregnancy and went public with my first. Had maternity package because couldn't afford to cough up consultant fees. Had no issues with public, except that I hated meeting a different consultant each time. This time around, I wanted to pay to see consultant. Turns out there is 52 week waiting period. I had removed maternity package as it was useless to me last time. My question is, can I pay privately to see same consultant and then be admitted publicly? Or do I have to go public?tia

I thought Maternity cover was automatically included on all health insurance policies?

are you talking about your antenatal care? You can pay to go privately antenatal. It normally costs around 3000 euro. Your policy should cover the hospital stay either way. the maternity antenataal cover is limited enough anyway with most policies

(not an expert but thats my understanding of it)

I paid €3000 WITH health insurance so I'd dread to think what it might be without. I'm not sure you can go private for antenatal but public for delivery. I may be wrong.

I paid €3000 WITH health insurance so I'd dread to think what it might be without. I'm not sure you can go private for antenatal but public for delivery. I may be wrong.
I am fairly sure that you can't. It's either private, semi-private or public - no mix and match. And even going private there is no guarantee that the consultant you have seen through the pregnancy will be there for the delivery.

Yes but any health insurance policy should still cover the hospital stay.

No, I dont think it is actually. I phoned them up to ask. The 3 days cover at private rate is an add on, but you are covered as for any other hospital stay after that (probably at semi private rate). All the other maternity stuff is the add on.

Phone up to enquire if you want to know for sure.

Not on the old plans. It may have changed since they became Irish Life and widened their plans. But before it was €385 total coverage and the delivery consultant fees on the day and the anesthiatist. So basically covering the public levy and nothing else.

you then had the then option of an enhanced maternity package.

The only way to know for sure is to phone up to ask. But your understanding is different to mine and my enquirer was in relation to an older plan (net most)

You need to choose public, private or semi-private. Private insurance will cover you as a public patient (ie. making no difference whatsoever if you have insurance or not). But you cannot pay for a consultant and then go public in the hospital. Sorry! Best of luck with pregnancy.

Back