Have non-principal private residence for work purposes - will property levies apply?

bovis

Hi All,

Our PPR is in a location that makes daily travel to Dublin to work very difficult. My employment is in Dublin city and fortunately my employer is flexible with some level of home working. We have a small non-principle private residence in Dublin that I use on a regular basis for overnight stays when I have to work in Dublin (e.g. Tues-Thurs). I dont make any rental income from my Dublin property (i.e. its not rented - only my own use)

Does anyone know if the levy on non-principal private residences (and the much touted property taxes) will apply to a non-principal private residences that is used solely for the purpose of temporary stays in fulfill obligations of employment? Surely there may be an argument that this is a legitimate arrangement that is necessary in order to make an income and therefore should be excluded from additional levies.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Bovis

Re: Have non-principal private residence for work purposes - will property levies app

I have not looked at the detail of this proposal yet but it seems that if you have 2 houses you will be liable to the tax.

How you choose to use the 2nd house and when is immaterial.

That is just my reading of the proposal and await the fleshing of it in more detail.It is only a proposal at the minute and I am sure all of these matters will be ventilated before the relevant Finance Act or regulations to put the proposal into effect.

Back