Have I been made a fair offer?

Afterflood

Hello all,

I have been offered a job as R & D Engineer with a major pharma company.

I have an engineering degree and almost 10 years exprerience in the medical device / pharma field.

They seem like a good company and appeared keen to get me on board.

I was very dissapointed when they made me an offer though - EUR70k a year and a bright future etc.

Maybe I am out of touch (have been working out of country) but I felt that I would be offered something much closer to 100k.

I am not sure whether to take offer or look elsewhere.

I would appreciate if anyone has advice regarding accurate survets etc where I can learn what people in similar positions earn.

Thank you.

What colour is the sky on your planet ? Offered a job at 70k and you're wondering if it's fair ? Please! Have you been living under a rock for the last 18 months ? Grab it with both hands, or send me the details.
Surveys are useless as they are all at least 2 years old (any of the ones I've seen are anyway). If you turn it down, there will be someone else waiting in line to take it up. This is no time to play with a hiring company. They have much more choice that you do.

Half a loaf is better than no bread,unless you want to sign on the dole

Why not take the job, and keep looking for another as well. If a better offer comes along - happy days. If not at least you have a job - even if it only pays a "mere €70k/anm".

It may well have been €100k two years ago. €70k for the job you describe in the current market is very fair. In terms of people in similar roles, they may well be earning what you expect; but remember they may also have been there some time.

Hello all,

I have an engineering degree and almost 10 years exprerience in the medical device / pharma field.

I was very dissapointed when they made me an offer though - EUR70k a year and a bright future etc.

Maybe I am out of touch (have been working out of country) but I felt that I would be offered something much closer to 100k.

I would appreciate if anyone has advice regarding accurate survets etc where I can learn what people in similar positions earn.

Thank you.

My opinion is that if you feel that you are worth 100k and the Pharma company feel you will bring 100k of value, then there should be no problem. So either they've pitched low and are expecting to you to come back to them or you have not conveyed your 100k of value.

I think looking at people in similar positions is a waste of time. Each negotiation is between employer and employee and will have it's own circumstances.

I cant say I am 100% up on salary levels in your industry but 70k for a senior engineering but non-management role sounds about right and even a bit on the high side.

If this was in a senior management position with a number of direct reports then you would command nearer to the 100k mark or more.

Depends on the role and responsibilities.

So you're about 31/32 and you think 70k is too low?

Friend for similar position was recently offered 80K - difference is she has 20 years experience. She grabbed it.

in the business myself and v good offer actually the cost to the company is prob close to 100k when you factor in Prsi, VHI, annual bonus, you prob have a susidised canteen, parking, life assurance, pension contributions, avc's, share scheme, need i go on, madness not to accept....

Yes, it's a fair offer.
Assuming it's a non-managemenet role (you make no reference to direct reports in your post).

What makes you think it's low? Where are you comparing it with? i.e. what country?

Hello all,

Thank you.

With respect, you are very much out of touch. Do look of course, but you may find other offers (if they materialise) to be significantly lower. You may also find that it takes a very long time to get another offer.

Two reasons: lots of supply and companies are just not recruiting as much. I also have an engineering background with 20 years experience. For the first time in my career my current job is at a much lower salary than the previous one. This is also the experience of colleagues. If you google for salary surveys you will find some comparative data (I think Hays recruitment did one recently). It supports my experience that the market is far more restrained that in the past few years.

Thanks for the advice. I will take job and plan on making a significant contribution and then look for significant increase.
To be honest I dont know how people survie on 70k.
I will have to improve at managing money i guess.

Can't wait to see the reaction to this comment! The majority of people in this country are surviving on much less than this and can manage.

Is is just yourself who will be living on 70K or do a have a partner / kids to support. Even still, I know couples with kids who survive on half of this........

Whether it's a fair offer and whether one can sustain a particular lifestyle on that offer are two different things. Unless you are familiar with the salaries of R & D Engineers in the pharma sector I don't see how you can comment on the former and if you don't know the op I don't see how you can comment on the latter !

Take the offer now.

And once things start to recover start to sniff around / re-negotiate.

Thanks for the advice. I will take job and plan on making a significant contribution and then look for significant increase.

You must have champagne and caviar every night - are you a real life Ross O'Carroll Kelly :p

Thanks for the advice.

I spoke with HR and gave the lady a piece of my mind.

She says that they cant increase the offer but that there will be a review next Feb and I could expect a 4 or 5% increase.

This has left me more depressed. a 4% increase, where is the incentive to work?!! I have my doubts about this crowd.

Are you trolling? There are people here with industry experience genuinely giving you best advice and your responses don't seem to acknowledge this.

Thanks for the advice.

I spoke with HR and gave the lady a piece of my mind.

She says that they cant increase the offer but that there will be a review next Feb and I could expect a 4 or 5% increase.

This has left me more depressed. a 4% increase, where is the incentive to work?!! I have my doubts about this crowd.
You should definitely hold out for a €100k offer. They clearly don't appreciate your talents. I'm sure there will be a long queue at your door of HR people just waiting to get you on board. Sure the €70k that you'd have earned while looking for your €100k job is just peanuts.

Back