Have contract, no medical yet, safe to hand in notice?

stresshead

I have been offered a job, references have been checked, and today I received 2 copies of the contract (signed by the HR person), along with a request to contact them about a start date.

I still need to arrange a medical and provide proof of my qualifications - it states in the contract that the offer is "subject to medical" etc.

Given that I have no medical issues/drug habits would it be acceptable for me to hand in my notice to my current employer this Friday? I will not be able to arrange the medical until next week. However telling my boss will not be a pleasant affair and I would like to get it out of the way before the weekend... also there is lots for me to sort out and hand over and I would like to give myself as much time as possible.

What are the chances of it all falling apart at this stage?

What are the chances of it all falling apart at this stage?
No one knows the answer to that at the moment.

What harm can waiting on your medical to be passed do?

As we don't know what type of job it is your going for we don't know how relevant the medical would be to it falling apart i.e if it's a stunt man I'd say hold tight until the medical is passed.

As we don't know what type of job it is your going for we don't know how relevant the medical would be to it falling apart i.e if it's a stunt man I'd say hold tight until the medical is passed.

Nothing so exciting I'm afraid! The job is mainly office-based, I might have to so a minimal amount of travelling.

Thanks for the advice!

Definitely hold tight. I know of a family where the father handed in his notice - did the medical which showed a life threatening disease from which he later died. His wife couldn't claim a pension/insurance benefits from the original employer as he had resigned.

Definitely hold tight. I know of a family where the father handed in his notice - did the medical which showed a life threatening disease from which he later died. His wife couldn't claim a pension/insurance benefits from the original employer as he had resigned.

:eek:

No harm hanging on a few days, maybe tell your new employer that you are holding off till then so as that they do not think you have started your 4 week notice period

Well, I work in HR, and I personally would never hand in my notice on teh basis of a contract that was "subject to references/medical " until such time as those checks were complete and confirmed as being okay.

I would also not expect any candidate that I offer to hand in their notice until we had completed these checks.

Never, never, never hand in your notice until you have a written, unconditional offer showing satisfactory conditions in your hand.

Back