Have been made redundant - next steps

taxpayer

Hi

I have been made redundant from a company I worked for years. I accepted the package they offered which will give me a few months cushion while considering my next steps. I plan to look for another job as in no position to retire early. Both myself and my partner have some savings and small pensions. We have 2 school going children.

But firstly, I want to sign on. Its been 20+ years since I last signed on, so not sure of the process. I have heard of Job Seekers Allowance and Job Seekers Benefit. From what I read on Citizens Advice, Job Seekers Benefit is what you apply for first and is not means tested and that it lasts for 6-9 months. Once that passes, then you apply for Job Seekers Allowance which is means tested. I dont plan to be unemployed for that length of time but understand that I wont qualify for it anyway due to my partner working.

Please let me know if in incorrect above.

So went about applying for JB and pretty much the first question is what my partner earns and what is currently in our bank accounts. Is JB means tested?

any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

If you are under 55 and received > 50K redundancy you are disqualified for JSB for 9 weeks. This happened to me when I took it and couldn't understand why some other guys were getting a state payment and I wasn't. They were all over 55 :) You go onto JSB first which you have to apply for. I was on it for about 6 months but got sorted with work. You go onto JSAwhen JSB runs out which is about 9 months I think and yes JSA is means tested but JSB is not. It's like an insurance scheme that you have paid into (PRSI contributions) to help you though periods like your current situation.

Last edited:
It's not means tested as such but they ask the questions anyway! I *think* the reasoning is that if you don't qualify for JB then they assess you for JA as they already have the info needed. However as you know it's highly unlikely you don't qualify for JB so just as easy give them the stuff to get it processed or if you don't want to then maybe tell them you only want to apply for the JB and don't want to be assessed for JA regardless.

@taxpayer Get yourself set up with a MyGovId and Public Services Card and get it all verified during your "relax" month. It means you can do a lot more stuff online when it comes to making a claim

I applied for JB the day after I finished work and application was processed in 3 days. I got two letters in one envelope
  1. A letter to say I was approved and go to the post office the next Wednesday with my PSC to collect payment (€220)
  2. A letter to say I was excluded for X weeks because I received a lump sum

Eventually I got a notification again to say my claim was activated and collect on a particular Wednesday. Just swipe card and sign at post office every Wednesday. Apparently you can collect til Friday evening but after that it is sent back and a big rigmarole as claim can be suspended.

After a few months I was moved to an electronic sign on and transfer to bank account which is a lot easier.

Back