Has heavyweight boxing descended into a new low?

Ceist Beag

This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in sport in a long time. For anyone who missed it, see here or go onto YouTube. It amounts to no more than street thuggery and I will be surprised if these lads are not charged with assault over it. At first I thought it must be some desperate PR stunt but the more I read of it since it sounds like these two really hate each other. And the lack of any security presence to prevent this happening spoke volumes.

Looks like a PR stunt that backfired. Chisora was complaining about being attacked with a bottle but was seen on camera with a bottle in his own hand. These are supposed to be role models?:eek: They should be charged and jailed. An embarrassment to the sport.

This is the oldest trick in the Boxing book. Stir up some frenzy, throw a few insults, act the blaggarded one, play the sympathy card. It was all for publicity and television rights to future "events." Worse again when you think some people believe in this stuff. Just think, if the media weren't present nothing would have happened. Furthermore, professional boxing is just a step up from professional wrestling.

They hate each other

Future bouts will be real grudge matches :eek: Must see TV, fight of the century

I'm whipping out my credit card and booking the pay per view

And the boxing manager/promoter is smiling ;)

I hear ye folks but in all fairness anyone who thinks this was all choreographed for some future grudge match has a fairly relaxed attitude to what is fair game in seeking publicity! This was way worse than anything I've ever seen before and went well beyond what can be deemed acceptable behaviour in a professional sport. Not only should there be no chance of a future bout between these two in the ring, they should both be kicked out of the sport as far as I'm concerned (I know Haye is already retired but right now he could come back any time he wants).
I think there was better behaviour in the RTE One show Knuckle! ;)

is it possible for Heavyweight boxing to go any lower than it already has reached the past 20 years!
too many titles, no free to air tv coverage, corruption, crime etc....I used to follow it, but like Athletics, I gave up the Ghost a long time ago

Back