Has anyone tried detox patches are they a gimmick?

Re: Had anyone tried Detox Patches are they a gimmick?

These things are designed to change colour. There is absolutely no evidence that they work, but they are certainly a good way of parting with money.

Yeah it's the same as the foot spa detox gimmick a few years back. I heard the water changes colour no matter what!

I imagine the feet are the best place as all the blood in the body circulates through a relatively confined space. A number of holistic treatments concentrate on the feet.
OK - you have me convinced anyway. Where can I buy these panaceas?

You don't have to put them on your feet - you can put them anywhere on your body except your face.
I get blocked pores/hair follicles in that there is a lump beneath the skin. The dr prescibed antibiotics etc which didn't work. I had it over a year but it dissapeared within weeks of using the packages - it just drained itself. I know this is gross but I swear by them

Foot Patches

Well I read up about it, and apparently your feet are the last place toxins rest before your body releases them, so these patches aren't interfering, just speeding the process of elimination up.
I don't know what the story is, all I know is that if you keep using them then they go a lighter colour, so something must be changing.

I tried a few months ago and the only thing I did notice is that ever since I used them, my feet are really sensitive.

Re: Foot Patches

I don't know what the story is, all I know is that if you keep using them then they go a lighter colour, so something must be changing.
Yes - but it's unlikely to be any perceptible change in the "toxin" levels in your body. If somebody can post authoritative evidence that these things actually work then I will eat one.*

* Assuming that the packet says that's OK.

OK - you have me convinced anyway. Where can I buy these panaceas?

Health food stores. Bought mine in Dundrum. The ones I bought could only be used on the soles of the feet. Remember that feeling you had when you were a kid looking at something you knew was disgusting, but still it held a morbid fascination? That's the feeling you get the morning after.

Wouldn't think of trying the foot spa thing as I heard they put something in the water and that made me suspicious.

Re: Foot Patches

Yes - but it's unlikely to be any perceptible change in the "toxin" levels in your body. If somebody can post authoritative evidence that these things actually work then I will eat one.*

* Assuming that the packet says that's OK.

Well they cure me of constipation. That's evidence enough for me:)

This link discusses these items in some detail!

[broken link removed]

I maintain they are a quick way of making money from the detox bandwagon, but then so are a lot of other things. Whatever floats one's boat...

Whatever floats one's boat...
Yes - but extraordinary claims about their efficacy requires extraordinary evidence to back it up. I'm all for people doing whatever they like as long as other non consenting parties are not harmed but I do believe that unsubstantiated extravagant claims about the efficacy of quack therapies should not be left unchallenged.

The also have some useful reading on detox products etc.

Wouldn't think of trying the foot spa thing as I heard they put something in the water and that made me suspicious.
You're suspicious about something in the water, but not about patches containing unspecified compounds and oyster shells which "draw out" toxins?
:confused:

Yes - but extraordinary claims about their efficacy requires extraordinary evidence to back it up. I'm all for people doing whatever they like as long as other non consenting parties are not harmed but I do believe that unsubstantiated extravagant claims about the efficacy of quack therapies should not be left unchallenged.

The also have some useful reading on detox products etc.

Hey ClubMan,

I am entirely in agreement, and there isn't any evidence that these things work at all - however, the placebo effect, or even taking a bit of care of oneself and having a few early nights with or without these patches, may make people feel better, hence the floating boat... The patches of course would be totally incidental to this process.

cheers,
Diziet

You're suspicious about something in the water, but not about patches containing unspecified compounds and oyster shells which "draw out" toxins?
:confused:

Left out the :D on last sentence of post! Yes I was skeptical and as you can see from my other posts, I opened them up and performed various tests to see if any gave the same result as applying them to the feet. The thing that I couldn't explain was how the patches didn't produce the same 'gunky' results as the week went on. I'm just curious and I don't feel ripped off as I knew there were no clinical trials performed. I asked before I bought and bought anyway. They did make me feel better and I don't know why. However, I didn't run straight out and buy more. By the way, clinical trials are very expensive and are really only carried out by large pharmeceutical firms. If you read the small print on most cosmetics you'll find that these trials can be held on 20 people over 2 weeks. Not my idea of an in depth study! Anecdotal evidence also has a role to play where firms can't afford clinical trials IMO.

Back