Harvey Norman doesn't refund or exchange if change my mind.

Sandy2004

Hey,

Very annoyed at Harvey Norman's return policy.

Bought bed linen there with two cushions like the linen but didn't like the cushions. So decided to bring them back Saturday and was told that Harvey Norman doesn't refund or exchange if I changed my mind.

Now if I was told that at the register when I had purchased I would have taken my time over the purchase. And I might add I have bought a bed, a bedroom set and table and chairs there and I was never once told this.

So if you are going to Harvey Norman make sure you are absolutely certain you like them cause you wouldn't be able to take them back!

They are within their rights but so many retailers do allow you to return something if you change your mind, it's become a very common practice.

Having said that, if I'm buying something and I have second thoughts at all, I always double check at the counter what their returns policy is.

I agree about checking the retailer's non statutory returns policy beforehand but equally I don't really see that the original poster has a legitimate complaint against the retailer in this case.

I know I should have asked but in relation to good customer relations, I can't understand why they don't give your money back. I now will never buy there again

I would expect it's probably to do with their business model. They can offer lower prices or have increased profit, because they don't have the overhead of restocking returns.

It's probably a bit like complaining that you're not getting a meal on Ryanair.

They can offer lower prices or have increased profit, because they don't have the overhead of restocking returns.

Lower prices??? Please show me!! LCD and stand E189 cheaper in DID week.

Wanted a camcorder last year and checked around. Price seemed to be around 600. Went into HN and they said 800. When I said 600 seemed to be the norm he said fair enough.
Dont know if that was great salesmanship or whether his child had been let loose with the pricing gun. Staff dont seem to know much about thier products in general.

Cheap comes with a price:)

bought a large rug from Swords branch last year and when we got it home the colour didn't match furniture so i brought it back and they exchanged without any problem.

Excuse my ignorance but i thought it was perfectly within your consumer rights to return the item (in perfect condition and with all tags on) with your receipt and exchange it for something else or get a credit note. Don't most shops practice this?

Excuse my ignorance but i thought it was perfectly within your consumer rights to return the item (in perfect condition and with all tags on) with your receipt and exchange it for something else or get a credit note.
No - absolutely not. See my earlier posts.
Don't most shops practice this?
Some do, some don't. None is obliged to operate this policy.

Clubman, I read the consumer link which you had on one of your earlier posts. Very interesting. I would honestly say that most people don't realise this because the bigger chain stores like Dunnes, Tescos etc. will change items no problem.

So if you are going to Harvey Norman make sure you are absolutely certain you like them cause you wouldn't be able to take them back!

They have returned items for me in the past when I changed my mind. I would advise if you are bringing back anything, due to a change of mind, that you come up with a better story to ensure they do refund (however immoral this may be ;) ) .

Doesnt fit, partner already bought, yada yada yada.

because they don't have the overhead of restocking returns.

I love this new excuse that shops and businesses are coming up with as a way to screw a few more euros out of the unfortunate consumer.

They're paying staff to work in shops, presumably to stack shelves etc. Why can't the same people put the linen back on the shelf as part of their normal job - why does it cost extra? It's not like adding the item back into the computer stock list is going to take all that long anyway.

Should they in theory be then charging us a "stocking charge" at the time of initial purchase? Maybe they'll be charging us a service charge for checking us out at the tills next as well?

Should they in theory be then charging us a "stocking charge" at the time of initial purchase? Maybe they'll be charging us a service charge for checking us out at the tills next as well?
Surely a retailer subsumes some part of all overall costs into the price of an item? Hardly rocket science or cause for a conspiracy theory?

Surely a retailer subsumes some part of all overall costs into the price of an item? Hardly rocket science or cause for a conspiracy theory?

I thought I was clear enough in that that was my point. Costs (such as staff costs) are subsumed into the costs of a product we buy from a retailer.

Therefore, charging these extra service charges, and restocking charges, is really charging on the double for the service that we're getting.

I thought I was clear enough in that that was my point. Costs (such as staff costs) are subsumed into the costs of a product we buy from a retailer.

Therefore, charging these extra service charges, and restocking charges, is really charging on the double for the service that we're getting.
Who said that they charge on the double for this service? :confused:

Back