Hanging heavy pole and curtains

Kenbo

Hi all
We need to hang heavy duty curtains on a steel curtain pole in a bedroom, the wall is made up of plaster board with isulation then a gap and then the concrete inner leaf ( I think this is the way the wall is constructed, the house was built in 1992/93). Do I need to use a special screw or toggle fixing to take the weight? Any recommendations for which type I should use. Part of the wall where one bracket has to go has an old lintel and the other two brackets will attach to a hollow sounding part of the wall. The original small window was replaced with a larger unit. The window is roughly 4 foot wide. Any suggestions please?
Thanks
Kenbo

go to any of the decent builder suppliers (Not Q and B, Oddies, or Base it at Home) for advice on the proper toggles, you will need. Tell them what you hope to hang, weight etc and they will advise. Use a new masonary bit for th hard lentel and dont bore too deep.

The Rawlplug site is down currently, but they have advice and specs of all their products. They'll have something to suit and are available from all the DIY sheds and builders providers.

With the insulation backed board, you won't be able to use the toggle fixings as these require a cavity. But you still have a few options, including, but not limited to:

1. Use a regular plug driled into the concrete and screws long enough to pass through the bracket, insulated board and into the plug. You could also use sleeve anchors in this manner, but these might be overkill here.

2. Glue a wooden batton to the wall using a decent construction adhesive. Use screws to hold this to the wall while the adhesive cures. Then attach the curtain brackets to this batton.

3. Use screw-in fittings such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rawlplug-Metal-Selfdrill-Plasterboard-Fixing/dp/B0001P0K8G (these).
Leo

The Rawlplug site is down currently, but they have advice and specs of all their products. They'll have something to suit and are available from all the DIY sheds and builders providers.

With the insulation backed board, you won't be able to use the toggle fixings as these require a cavity. But you still have a few options, including, but not limited to:

1. Use a regular plug driled into the concrete and screws long enough to pass through the bracket, insulated board and into the plug. You could also use sleeve anchors in this manner, but these might be overkill here.

2. Glue a wooden batton to the wall using a decent construction adhesive. Use screws to hold this to the wall while the adhesive cures. Then attach the curtain brackets to this batton.

3. Use screw-in fittings such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rawlplug-Metal-Selfdrill-Plasterboard-Fixing/dp/B0001P0K8G (these).

Leo

+1 on item 3.I use them all the time and they are great for things like curtain rails on plasterboard.
Had a Plumber use them on heavy double rads about 10 years ago-and theyare still there.Best fixing invention ever.Woodies have them.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice,curtains and getting a nights sleep! Toggles worked a treat.
Kenbo

Back