hairdresser rip off

bleary

Just got my hair cut
paid 34 euro in the salon before christmas .
Went in and asked could they do just cut it the same but shorter
ie from below the shoulder to above the shoulder
bout 2 -3 inches in the difference
in for about 40 mins got charged 47 euro
Was then told that it was 37 for the cut and an extra 10 for the 'restyle'
called the stylist over and asked had she restyled my hair ?
no -but she said that any time they cut more than the ends off it they charge for a restyle -Unbelievable
I thought the mcdonalds ad was a joke -
I dont suppose hairdressers have an association to complain to??
When i complained the supervisor just said that all i could do is talk to the stylist again .. She said i was lucky i got a junior stylist or i would have paid another 10 euro on top...
Really annoyed..

Well just don't go back there again and make sure to tell all your friends..It does sound a bit excessive to be honest.

er, I don't think taking another bit off constitutes a "restyle"
Rip-off is right

Older I get = less hair I have = costs more each time to get it cut.......FIgure that one out!

Not a rip-off if you didn't check the price list or ask in advance how much it would cost. Regardless of how much it cost the last time.

would agree that its cheap if it was in dublin .
its not
could have got my hair done in dublin by my favourite hairdresser for another 5 quid- 47 would make it the most expensive in the area now even 37 would be right up there .
'Was it any good'- well its the same as the one i had before really just shorter -
Had nicer cuts and a lot more attention for a lot less -even in the same salon -it was a wash cut and go session (which is all i wanted)

Agree with zegar wont go again and will tell everybody as the supervisor did absolutely nothing when i complained
but cant help feeling ripped off and annoyed

clubman its not that they put up the price by a few quid -its charging 10 quid extra for a restyle without doing one
there is nothing in the brochure to say cutting more than an inch off attracts a surcharge -Always check the small print :)

Ok fair point re the Dublin thing....

If it was the same 'shape' and really only shortened then you have a case. Why not write a letter addressing it to the shop management. I would, on principle....!

I'm always arguing with my barber that he should be charging on the basis of surface area cut - he only charges pensioners and students €7, some of whom have full heads of hair but he charges everyone else, me included, a tenner even though I have a rapidly receding thatch !!

bleary said:
clubman its not that they put up the price by a few quid -its charging 10 quid extra for a restyle without doing one
there is nothing in the brochure to say cutting more than an inch off attracts a surcharge -Always check the small print :)
Regardless of whatever price increases they instituted since you were last here it's not a rip-off as long as these prices were clearly displayed as required by law. If you did not check/ask beforehand then that's another matter. But still not a rip-off.

What are we supposed to do Clubman. Scrutinise the price lists everytime you buy a pint/get your haircut? Define rip-off for me. The point she is making is that the extra charge is exhorbitant for what she acutally had done.

Danmo said:
What are we supposed to do Clubman. Scrutinise the price lists everytime you buy a pint/get your haircut?
Yes - unless you don't care how much you pay of course.
The point she is making is that the extra charge is exhorbitant for what she acutally had done.
That's subjective. Maybe it was particularly cheap in the first place? Anyway, it is not obviously a rip-off situation unless the prices were not clearly displayed. The fact that somebody doesn't ask/check beforehand means that they cannot claim to have been ripped off after the fact.

Anyone know what the situation is when a trainee does your hair instead of the senior stylist? I have been going to the same hairdresser for the past 18 months or so since they opened. Attention at first was good, and owner did my hair herself. Second last time I went, she told me the trainee would be doing my colour, and I said that was ok - she did the cut herself. But she charged full whack; is this correct? I thought there should be a discount if the person doing the job is not fully trained?

What does the price list say? Some list different prices for different grades of staff. In the absence of any qualifiers I guess it's the same price regardless of who does the job. Of course the customer is perfectly entitled to make their views known and haggle if they don't like this. Or simply go elsewhere. Did you check the price/discount when informed that a trainee would be colouring your hair? Or haggle when it came to paying?

If the trainee does as good a job as someone who is qualified, then there is no basis to expect a reduction, is there? Was the standard the same in both cases?

bleary said:

now that to me is a "rip-off"

Ok to clairify nowhere was there a sign up saying that a cut that took more hair off than 1-2 inch constitited a restyle
A restyle according to a hair dressers web site i just looked up

A "re-style" involves a substantial amount of hair (minimum of 3 inches) being cut off with a finish that is distinct from your usual styling.
according to hair dresser on the web site
'I will always tell you if the haircut will be a re-style rather than a standard cut and finish'

My problem is not that they charge 10 euros for a restyle but specifically that they did not provide this service to me nor did I request it

If you didn't check the price up front or argue the toss when it came to paying and you were not happy with the bill then you were not ripped off. QED as far as I'm concerned.

Back